iPads being renamed in Jamf

awginger
Contributor

Hi all,

We name our iPads during our Pre-Stage (ABC-<serial>) and this seems to work 99% of the time. We then have the restriction in place to stop users renaming their device (Modifying device name - Not Allowed).

Am seeing an oddity that we get devices that just seem to reset their name to 'iPad', It was down to about 15 a week or so ago and this week it is up to 60+. I am struggling to understand what is causing it, which means I am not sure how to fix it!

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

jtrant
Valued Contributor

I saw that for a while but it was resolved by upgrading to 10.23.0. What version are you running?
In our case we name devices after DEP/AC2 enrollment but Jamf was sending a 'RenameDevice' MDM command right after.

awginger
Contributor

We are on 10.24.2 (Jamf Cloud). Maybe it is something I should raise with support?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Is the given name by the pre-stage not being enforced? Even if allow device name changes were to be left open the next inventory update should be changing the name back.

I've also seen OS updates or using reset all settings or reset network settings change the name.

awginger
Contributor

@mainelysteve Yes the name is enforced in the prestage. Could well be updates and reset network settings doing it but that would surely be a product issue if that is the case, right?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@awginger Somewhat. OS updates that may potentially change the name would be something to bring up with Apple(SE or enterprise support). Network settings reset changing the name back to the default iPad is to be expected. In either case though an inventory update (scheduled or not) should bring those back in line. If the name being enforced in Jamf Pro is the one that was assigned by the pre-stage then from a manageability standpoint it's mostly functioning. If the some outside factor is changing the name of the device and it's not being changed back by an inventory update then that's definitely something Jamf support needs to be aware of.

As an aside I've always left name changes unrestricted because if I enforced that setting the name would never reliably be set and would stay on iPad, iPad (1), etc..

beteka
New Contributor II

the name of an iPad is being reset to "IPAD" when a user resets network settings in the iPad settings. Maybe that's what you're seeing...

awginger
Contributor

So it is the 'reset network settings' that is renaming the iPad back to 'iPad', is that what we're saying @mainelysteve @beteka ?

If so, I will let them all update inventory (will be next week as it is a school holiday) and see if they get renamed back to what they should...

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@awginger Well it's a possibility and something worth investigating. If it truly is Reset Network Settings then perhaps look into why this is being used so often.

awginger
Contributor

Great, thanks guys.