iPhoto for iOS- bye-bye

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Syncing of Cart iPads today:
we have iPhoto (paid) on these iPads
When we open iPhoto, it says it has transferred all data to Photos, and that's all it will do.
If you go to the VPP portal, you cannot acquire iPhoto for iOS.

8 REPLIES 8

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Don't you just love Apple?

Apple: We know what you actually want. You just think you know what you want, but we know you actually want something different and that something is this 'New Thing' we just developed that we think is better than that other 'Old Thing' that you've been using for years and were used to. (Oh, this 'New Thing' is pretty new, may be missing a lot of features and might even be pretty buggy, but its OK, we'll fix them all within the next 2 years) So we did you a big favor and removed that familiar 'Old Thing' for you and replaced it with the 'New Thing'. Isn't that awesome! (You can thank us later) You'll get used to this 'New Thing' and if not... too bad, because we don't care.

And they wonder why so many people still go to other platforms to avoid them.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I guess this actually happened awhile ago but it only impacted these carts now as they waited to go to IOS 8....

http://www.imore.com/ios-8-kills-iphoto-messy-transition-photos..

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Actually that's probably true. Didn't know you just upgraded them to iOS 8. If so, then that does explain it, since iOS 8 shipped with Photos instead of iPhoto. Still, it seems very draconian to auto remove a paid app from the device. Apple's practices here could use a rework in my opinion.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

And Apple doesn't understand why schools are migrating en masse to much-less-capable Chromebooks because they're far, far easier to manage, particularly in the cart/shared-use model.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Well, iPhoto is gone in 10.10.3+ as well. So Photos is the Apple future. Like it or not. But it seems to work well so far and it's not all that different, so maybe not a big deal...

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Well, very interesting and yet, standard Apple. It's a bit confusing that your purchased app was nuked in favor of another. That's a little strange even for Apple. Especially since they've announced a HUGE opening of polices related to school management of iOS devices.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

My apologies for bringing this up like it was new news. We do not have many iPhoto for iOS licenses, and one location where we do waited until now to update his carts to iOS 8, and that's what brought this to light. In fact it really happened when iOS 8 came out :) When I heard about it I mistakenly thought it coincided with the Yosemite 10.0.3 iPhoto Bye-bye announcement.
We went through some pretty massive confusion when they monkeyed around with Garageband... paid,then free w/ in-app, back to paid.. total mess for us as we have curriculum based around it....
As for Apple's big reveal regarding Education and iOS management improvements, those no doubt will appear in October when they will be of little use in the short term...

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@Sandy no apologies needed! It's straight up confusing! Heck, apple refunded me something like $11k for licensing when they did that as we had a site license. So we went from that to versions of iLife and iWork that we 'technically' couldn't give out. It's all sorted now, but wow was that one scary.