iPods showing in JSS, but will enroll into DEP for Self-Service Configuration

tjohnson02
New Contributor

We have a about 50 iPods that we are using for VR headsets, the iPods are all running iOS 11 or greater. They are all showing in the Static Group in JSS but when place them into DEP and reset the iPod; Self-Service never loads and the iPod never gets the scoped apps.

However, I do have one iPod set up correctly with all the needed apps and Self-Service is loaded and operational on the device. No matter what I do, I cannot get the other devices to this state.

Any Suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

If the device is assigned to the apropriate MDM server record (in Apple Deployment Programs or Apple School Manager), and assigned to the appropriate Mobile Device PreStage enrollment, they should re-enroll in Jamf Pro after they have been reset once you complete Setup Assistant, or run the device through Automated Enrollment via Configurator.

You may want to check your re-enrollment settings as this can cause devices to leave a static group when re-enrolled. If scope for Self Service and other apps is based on that static group membership, that would cause the behavior you are seeing.

If wiping these units periodically is part of your workflow, you may want to consider a smart group for these 50 iPod touch devices.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@tjohnson02 As @jcarr mentions, use a Smart Device Group to identify these iPods. Static Device Groups are useless for this kind of thing since once the device is unenrolled it is deleted from the group.