Is an app from the App Store or not?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

We have lot of Macs that have Xcode installed, but I need to find out if each installation was done via an App Store download or of the users got them directly from developer.apple.com. We are not using VPP at this time, so any App Store downloads would have been done under the users' own AppleIDs.  If I look at a computer record and look at the Applications installed, there is a column to let me know if an app came from the App Store. I am trying to build an Advanced search or Smart Group to tap into that information but I can't figure out what search criteria to use. This task ultimately wouldn't be limited to just Xcode since there are a lot of apps that can be found in the App Store as well as directly on vendor websites.  Is there a way to search and group that information?

2 REPLIES 2

jmahlman
Valued Contributor

One way we try to find non-VPP apps is with this EA:

#!/bin/sh

echo "<result>$(mdfind 'kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt = 1 && kMDItemAppStoreReceiptIsVPPLicensed = 1')</result>"

exit 0

This will return a list of apps that were installed via Volume Purchase Program (VPP). You can reverse it to find non-VPP apps as well.

#!/bin/sh

echo "<result>$(mdfind 'kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt = 1 && kMDItemAppStoreReceiptIsVPPLicensed != 1')</result>"

exit 0

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I'll give that a try.