Is Blocking Particular SSID Possible?

aturner
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

We have a specific situation where we want to block access to Guest network for our users, completely. We want them to use our more secure network, even for things such as internet access. Does anyone know of a good way to block access to a particular network or SSID?

This can potentially be done with MAC address filtering on the Wireless Router side of things, but I was just wondering if someone knew of a way to do this on a lot of machines on the Mac side.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jarednichols
Honored Contributor
4 REPLIES 4

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We set out guest network up that our guests need a guest account to use it. Probably wouldn't work in all situations though.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

aturner
New Contributor III

This is great. Thanks!

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Another solution is to use profiles to control the auto join behavior of the computers. For example we have several SSID's for 'registration', 'students', 'faculty', 'Guest' and a few others. We simply set up a network profile for ALL SSID's but turn off Auto-Join. This means that they are aware of the other SSID's but won't log into them unless forced to

I find this helpful just in case there is a good reason to connect to another SSID that I haven't thought of. God forbid that the SSID they are supposed to be using has an issue and the users get locked out of Guest.