Is there a way to lock an iPad to a Google Account?

klongfellow
New Contributor

I have a student that has been accessing personal Google Account on his iPad. We would like to lock his iPad into the school account only. Is there a way to do that?

8 REPLIES 8

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

After setting up the correct account, apply a Configuration Profile in which you have unchecked "Allow modifying account settings"

klongfellow
New Contributor

Thank you, I just tried that it doesn't seem to stop it from being able to add another google account.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

I just tested it here in my office, and I am not able to add or change any accounts (except add password to existing Google School account)
Once the profile applies, all greyed out
We also have this in production for some time with no issues

klongfellow
New Contributor

Hmmm, I just went into the Google Drive app on my students iPad and was able to add my account. That is what we are trying to prevent. I added a Configuration Profile with the students iPad and removed the "Allow modifying account settings" and it isn't stopping it. Is there something I am doing different from you? Thank you for your help.

klongfellow
New Contributor

That appears to be locking it in the mail accounts on the machine, but not on the Google Drive App. The app is what we are trying to lock.

miregan
Contributor II

Pretty sure the configuration profile only prevents the addition through the settings. Jamf doesnt have that kind of control over the google drive app itself however.

klongfellow
New Contributor

Thank you greatly for your input. That is what we were afraid of. Just hoping there was a way.

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Google could choose to support Managed App Configurations in the Google Drive app for iOS. This would allow you to specify application preferences via MDM.

Managed App Configuration