Is there a way to push security updates through JSS?

kwever
New Contributor

I'm having students come to me all throughout the day because their Safari isn't up to date and they can not use Canvas. I'm having to install the latest security update which puts them out of having a computer for 20-25 minutes during class times. Is there a way to push out security updates to all computers so I don't have touch every single computer that needs it? I hope I'm asking the right question.

4 REPLIES 4

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

That's... sort of a core function of JSS.

Multiple ways to do this. You can just run "software update" via policy overnight, you can download the update as a pkg and push it...

kwever
New Contributor

Seems simple. I just took over this new job and never used jss before starting here. No training or anything.

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

If you're new to Jamf, I'd recommend setting aside some time and going through the online training. It's basic, but should at least give you a bit of a "ground level" idea of capabilities, etc. The Jamf 200 level course is great, but requires a training class, etc. - the 100 level can be done on your own time online, and should give you a better idea of not just what you CAN do, but probably raise a lot of questions, which the JamfNation community is fairly good at answering :)

https://www.jamf.com/training/online-training/100/

edickson
Contributor

Yep, did the Jamf 100 training and found it very useful!