Issues mounting SMB Share (JSS 9.63 + 10.10.3)

powellbc
Contributor II

I have encountered issues mounting our SMB JSS share when using 10.10.3 and JSS on 9.63. If I load either Casper imaging or Admin in that OS version, it fails to mount the share. I can natively mount it from Finder without issue.

This pops up in the Casper Admin logs when launching it:

4/9/15 11:17:28.861 AM Casper Admin[2063]: WARNING: The Gestalt selector gestaltSystemVersion is returning 10.9.3 instead of 10.10.3. Use NSProcessInfo's operatingSystemVersion property to get correct system version number.

Has anyone else encountered this?

21 REPLIES 21

pblake
Contributor III

I am running 10.10.3 and 9.6.5 and I am not having any issues.

powellbc
Contributor II

If I can get approval I may upgrade to 9.65 this evening so see if that resolves it.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

@powellbc You may try using the 9.65 tools with 9.63 JSS. This works at least for Casper Imaging. Sounds like the OS version detection code JAMF used was broken before changes made in 9.64 (recalled)/9.65.

scottb
Honored Contributor

I'd suggest searching on "9.65" and look at the issues with that version as well in regards to passwords, SMB mounts, and various other issues that involve similar issues.
9.65 has been a real headache for us, and I am hoping 9.7 (with listed fixes) makes things better.

powellbc
Contributor II

I am using 9.65 Casper imaging and still failing to mount the drive when the JSS is 9.63 and the client OS is 10.10.3.

I upgraded our test JSS to 9.65 and that did not resolve the issue either. Any combo I try when on 10.10.3 does not work. Looks like I need to open a support ticket.

powellbc
Contributor II

It appears upgrading the JSS to 9.7 addresses the issue. Hooray for unplanned upgrades.

powellbc
Contributor II

Another unrelated update: I used AutoDMG and AutoCasper NBI to create a 10.10.3 boot image using Casper imaging 9.7 on a 9.7 JSS, and it is not block copying the image. It's doing a package transfer. Anyone else see this?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Try reverting Casper Imaging back to 9.65. Yes, you can use older versions of the tools than the JSS, or newer, in some cases.

powellbc
Contributor II

I tried JSS 9.7, OS X10.10.3, and Casper imaging 9.65 and I am back to my original issue of not bein able to mount the share.

scottb
Honored Contributor

Did you try any of these that have worked with similar issues:

Removing any spaces in your SMB path (if applicable)?

Removing special characters from your JSS install and admin accounts?

Change the server share (on the JSS) from using DNS to IP for the server (DP) setup?

Just some the things that have come up recently and bit others.

powellbc
Contributor II

I finally got this combo working:

JSS: 9.63
Casper imaging 9.65
OS X 10.10.3 netboot (created with AutoDMG and AutoCaserNBI)

powellbc
Contributor II

Well, I spoke too soon. I am still getting this error. I will be testing some more it seems.

powellbc
Contributor II

When I try 10.10.3 NetBoot + Imaging 9.63 and JSS 9.63 it does not block copy, it copies the package. I am now officially at a total loss.

With regards to these queries @boettchs:

Did you try any of these that have worked with similar issues:

Removing any spaces in your SMB path (if applicable)?
There are no spaces in the path.

Removing special characters from your JSS install and admin accounts?
Do you mean the password or the actual account?

Change the server share (on the JSS) from using DNS to IP for the server (DP) setup?
Do you mean use a static IP? The server is Windows, FWIW.

scottb
Honored Contributor
Change the server share (on the JSS) from using DNS to IP for the server (DP) setup

On the JSS, (we too use Windows servers/SMB) change the Distribution points to use IP address such as:
10.123.123.123 as opposed to server.company.com

Removing special characters from your JSS install and admin accounts? Do you mean the password or the actual account?

There are two accounts - ours are CasperAdmin and CasperInstall. Ridding the passwords of anything not alpha-numeric on those accounts helped a lot with Imaging and Admin, and fixed the Self Service issues altogether. FYI, since we also use LDAP, we made the change to that account as well.

So far, the results are much better. Still seeing more failed policies with 9.65, but it's tolerable for now.

Cook
New Contributor II

We have same problem here jss 9.65 win server 2008 r2 - Clients mix bag of 10.7 10.8 10.9. 10.10:

• Casper Admin wont mount shares
  • Netboot appliance Casper Imaging same deal - cant image from the network anymore
  • Console spits smbfs invalid URL rubbish errors
  • Was working fine until a Windows security NTLM patch was applied to one of our EMC Isilon file servers https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3002657
  • I get now a mixed bag of results depending if bound or not bout to AD
  • Can mount the shares using connect to server but for no apparent reason all authentication formats differ depending on osx version...
  • Endless troubleshooting hours and angry desktop support people blaming Casper as the issue!
  • I have no idea how to fix this and prey the EMC Islion is patched at some stage or im doomed lol.

pblake
Contributor III

I noticed this yesterday on my coworkers machine. It seemed as if caspershare didn't mount. It was not on the desktop or anything.

So we did a cd / Volumes and it as connected but couldn't see it in the gii anywhere. So I went to go to folder in the finder and put in /Volumes. It was there.

powellbc
Contributor II

@boettchs Changing the DP to IP instead of DNS made no difference. 9.65 won't mount the share in OS X 10.10.3.

powellbc
Contributor II

So, this is what I am seeing in summary.

• JSS 9.63 plus Imaging 9.63 plus 10.10.3: No block copy, this was a known issue
  • JSS 9.63 plus Imaging 9.65 plus 10.10.3: Cannot mount SMB share in app, but in Finder it works ok
  • JSS 9.7 plus Imaging 9.7 plus 10.10.3: It seems to attempt a block copy before erasing the disk, says it completes, and then erases the drive followed by a package installation of the image.

I want to test 9.64 imaging in this combo but am unable to download it from my Assets page.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

That's probably because 9.64 had some major bugs prompting the quick release of 9.65.

scottb
Honored Contributor

@powellbc Sorry to hear that. OK, trying other things that have fixed similar issues:

Do your accounts (Admin and Install) have spaces in the names?
Is your /CasperShare at the root of the volume on the server?

When you see this problem, can you do the below and see if you have more than one CasperShare showing?

ls /Volumes

powellbc
Contributor II
  • Our share read/write and read only accounts and then the account I using to authenticate all have no spaces in the names.
  • The share is at the root of the D: volume on the Windows Server.
ls /Volumes

...only shows the local drive or NetBoot volume.