Jamf and Caching server

arsjamfauh
New Contributor

Hi,

I have multiple issues that i need your suggestions if you have encountered and have it fixed.

issue# 1. JamF - I was requested to install an Educational apps to the iOS devices, one of the app is Google Docs. I did a volume purchase for 24 licenses, log in to JamF, set the app with the usual settings i normally do, Selected Install Automatically/Prompt users to install, then assign to devices. I did an update inventory to speed up the pushing. When i was checking the iPads, the app is not there but shows assigned on JamF. I did saw the apps in Self Service, ready for install, and why is that? When i Selected Install Automatically?

issue #2. Caching Server - We have different vlans, and the server is connected to one with static IP, and ipads are connected to same vlan where the caching server is. With issue #1, i did try to install the apps from Self Service, and it just shows processing, and Install Button show up again. I pressed Install, and it tries and back to Install Button. I tried connecting 1 ipad to another SSID, out of Caching server ip range, open self service, click install, and i works.

Our firewall does not have setting to block ports, added apple links in whitelist or thats not enough? Currently we have 2 internet lines, and firewall needs to be configured to work with multiple public ip for the caching sever. I am not sure where to start fixing first, any apple ip range or links i need to unblock from firewall. If you have an idea, please share your thoughts and experience with the same issues i have. Thanks,

Ronald

1 REPLY 1

tsossong
New Contributor III

Hi there,

1 check the DEP portal. Maybe your licences are still "processing". If the DEP licences are available check the DEP section in Jamf. In your case Google Docs should be on 24 bought licences 24 assigned licences. After that check your scope. Are there just 24 devices you scope to or more? For example: If you use a smart group that is already 30 devices strong you 24 devices reporting in first will get the licenced app, the other 6 devices will show the app in self service but you cant download/install it. Recommendation to avoid that: If its a free app buy in stacks of 500. The licence processing will take a little bit longer (could be around 30 minutes) but you will never run out of licences. Since Casper Suite 9. something VPP licenced apps objects will be generated by Casper / Jamf within the Mobile Device Apps section automatically. Basically you just need to switch the deployment method and set the scope. If you generate another object there you may choose the wrong app - otherwise it should come up with an error message (double element)

2 Start building your house from the cellar not from the roof. For MDM you need a proper and reliable network. So make sure your network works in any state, your VLAN and firewall configs are correct and your iPads can handle the configuration. The caching server is (in basic setup) registering its public IP adress to the Apple Akamai Cloud. If you push out a new install command (i skip the push line) than the MDM Server tells the iPad to connect to the AppStore to download the App. The first iPad maybe has the same public IP as the registered caching server. So the Cloud redirects the iPad to the CS. CS says: uuhh...new app and downloads it for the iPad. Job done. But if now maybe iPad 20 is connecting to the AppStore with the second IP it downloads the App directly from the AppStore (or tries to). You can setup the caching server to "all networks on my site" (if I remember correctly) that should avoid the public IP problem. Never the less trunk the incoming lines with an piece of network hardware is highly recommended.

Even worst: The caching server switches communication back and forth between the both public lines. That renders the caching server useless for the iPads. Consider open up the Caching server to the whole LAN (connect it to all VLANs) than it also caches other elements. Also check if the public IP range 17.0.0.0 / 8 is maybe blocked by your firewall. Thats the Apple Cloud Server Range.

Hope I could help a bit.

Cheers

Thomas