jamf binary failed to install

MacRae
New Contributor

Hi When I recon 8.31 on a Mac running OSX 10.6.7 I get the error message "jamf binary failed to install"

I cannot find any other error or log info. Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

what happens if you type in

jamf help

Into the terminal? You may need to rerun quickadd, also if have any Casper apps (imaging, casper admin, etc) the binary is also embedded in them. See this:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=67

MacRae
New Contributor

Many thanks for your help tlarkin. I just figured it out. My sudoers file was screwed up on the remote Mac. My admin account was no longer in the sudoers file. I enabled root and then added my admin account into sudoers with vi.
All done.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

That is weird...I have never had my /etc/sudoers go awry unless someone has been tinkering where they shouldn't have been. Regardless, glad you got it fixed!

-Tom

nessts
Valued Contributor II

always use visudo and not just vi, if you jack up the syntax visudo will tell you its wrong and not let you save a busted file.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I've seen the same in the past with somehow that I didn't image but would later manage.

Never got it directly figured out, but found other issues with this companies image & I started reimaging them through Casper.

schastain
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. Machine did not show up in JSS. Used Recon again and received error. Tried creating new QuickAdd.pkg and sending via ARD but that failed. Came here, found this discussion. I have logged into the machine as root and opened terminal

Then "jamf checkJSSConnection"

Message was that the file /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist does not exist

Typed in "jamf createConf" as instructed

Returned message "There is a problem with your syntax. Error: This application must be run as root."

Not sure of next steps to take at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor
Returned message "There is a problem with your syntax. Error: This application must be run as root." Not sure of next steps to take at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

just add sudo in front of that command, then input your password. Just ensure you are using the correct syntax.

schastain
New Contributor

I am copying and pasting so I'm not sure what I am missing. I have used the sudo command with no success. Here is what I get.

vsm-jcarrougher:~ admin$ sudo jamf createConf Password: There is a problem with your syntax. Error: This application must be run as root. Try the sudo command.

bentoms

Could you try:

sudo su

<enter password>

Then;

jamf createConf

It should then run as root & not your admin account.

(thinking is something is amiss with your admin account).

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

The account you are trying this with is an admin account and is part of the /etc/sudoers right?

schastain
New Contributor

Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate the assistance to get this solved. I am about to just reimage this machine but I'd like to resolve it if it can be done.

bentoms: I tried what you suggested but still same message.

tlarkin: I looked at that earlier based on feedback above in the thread. Here's what I see when opening the sudoers file in textedit and it appears to me that admin is included.

# sudoers file. # # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root. # Failure to use 'visudo' may result in syntax or file permission errors # that prevent sudo from running. # # See the sudoers man page for the details on how to write a sudoers file. # # Host alias specification # User alias specification # Cmnd alias specification # Defaults specification Defaults env_reset Defaults env_keep += "BLOCKSIZE" Defaults env_keep += "COLORFGBG COLORTERM" Defaults env_keep += "__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING" Defaults env_keep += "CHARSET LANG LANGUAGE LC_ALL LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE" Defaults env_keep += "LC_MESSAGES LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME" Defaults env_keep += "LINES COLUMNS" Defaults env_keep += "LSCOLORS" Defaults env_keep += "SSH_AUTH_SOCK" Defaults env_keep += "TZ" Defaults env_keep += "DISPLAY XAUTHORIZATION XAUTHORITY" Defaults env_keep += "EDITOR VISUAL" # Runas alias specification # User privilege specification root ALL=(ALL) ALL %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL # Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL # Same thing without a password # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL # Samples # %users ALL=/sbin/mount /cdrom,/sbin/umount /cdrom # %users localhost=/sbin/shutdown -h now

bentoms

Definately sounds like something is awry.

I reimaging is not to painful, I'd go with that.

ScottyBeach
Contributor

sudoers file!
I messed with it yesterday and got "jamf binary failed to install" today. I just had to correct my messed up permissions on the file and then Recon worked fine. Glad to find this thread.
- Scott

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@MacRae wrote:

Many thanks for your help tlarkin. I just figured it out. My sudoers file was screwed up on the remote Mac. My admin account was no longer in the sudoers file. I enabled root and then added my admin account into sudoers with vi. All done.

We support HIPA/GLBA/SOX environments, so we get why there can be instances where we need to "lock down" Mac environments using Apple security guidelines.

http://www.apple.com/support/security/guides/

But something doesn't sound right in what Andy MacRae posted...a user who doesn't have sudo rights and therefore can't run sudo visudo to properly edit the /etc/sudoers file, but who can enable/disable root, and in turn give themselves rights to edit the file?

Seems like a significant security hole...hmmm...I haven't seen Andy MacRae post here in a while.

Andy...are you still here?

Oops....let's try:

sudo "Andy...are you still here?"

:)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

MacRae
New Contributor

Hmm, just noticed this Dom. Yes you are right, it was one of those Mac's that were installed in 2008. Don't worry I re imaged them with my own image. All working ok now.