Jamf, DEP and TimeMachine

DennisMX
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm wondering what will happen if i enroll a laptop and the first thing the user will do is restoring a TimeMachine backup.

Will it leave the Jamf part alone or do we need to do a user-initiated enrollment afterwards?

thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

cpresnall
Contributor

Time machine restores cause the same issue as Migration Assistant. Typically Self Service will remain operational, but the binary stops allowing remote commands to be run. Best to have a user initiated enrollment available to the user after their restore, or move to a different method of backups like Druva.

DennisMX
Contributor II

Thanks for the reply.
What differs Druva from TimeMachine in this? will it work together with Jamf?

We have a user that really wants to restore his non-jamf TM backup to his DEP enrolled macbook.
The migration assistant laucnhed and in the end restarts the laptop, but it boots to MacOS and after start the assistant it does the same thing over and over.

How to proceed?
Or do i need Jamf Support for this?

m_stirrup
New Contributor II

@DennisMX We use Druva cloud, the main idea is we have it set to backup the contents incrementally every 4 hours of ~/Desktop , ~/Documents & the users chrome bookmarks, so on a replacement machine anything in those locations can be copied back.

If it's going from his old 'work' machine to a 'new' one and he has the same account name existing on his new machine TM will fail in the way you described (can't have 2 accounts with the same name) so wouldn't be able to have old + new on the same machine.
You may be able to mount the TM image and copy the data into the current user account though.