Jamf Pro and Apple Classroom Issues

efisher
New Contributor III

I've enrolled our school's fleet of iPads and am currently in progress doing the same to our Macs using Apple Configurator 2. The devices populate correctly in ASM and then I assign them to Jamf Pro, but when I try a test case of Apple Classroom with a teacher Mac and student iPad (assigned as such in ASM with Managed Apple IDs) I see some unusual behavior. The ability to lock students into apps is completely grayed out, as well as the Lock and Mute features. After some troubleshooting with Jamf, I've tried stripped-down PreStage Enrollment profiles on completely wiped devices to ensure no profiles were causing issues, added and re-added the devices to ASM several times, wiped the Mac completely and reinstalled OS, etc. Finally they posited trying the configuration on two like devices--doing so requires me to purchase an iPadOS version of Apple Classroom app on ASM and deploy it through Jamf so I can add it to an iPad. But the app will not appear in Jamf for deployment. I've been back and forth with Apple and Jamf support about this issue and it seems to be quite anomalous to both parties. I just want my teachers to be able to use Apple Classroom as intended but still have all my school's devices Managed in Jamf--I feel like I'm missing something obvious but I've exhausted all the problem solving steps I (and several support techs) can think of. Any insight anyone might have would be so much appreciated. Thank you!

14 REPLIES 14

bfrench
Contributor III

There are a lot of moving parts to this issue.  For the teacher iPads, it should not matter how the Apple Classroom app gets to the teacher iPads - via Jamf or directly from the Appstore as long as the staff accounts are not managed Apple IDs.  Are the Classes being populated into ASM from a SIS and then imported into Jamf? or are they being created on the fly?  

efisher
New Contributor III

So many parts! I think that's why it's proving challenging for me and both Apple and Jamf support techs. Thanks for your response. Just creating classes manually, no SIS. The classes I create in ASM do populate in Apple Classroom, though. Your answer gives me some other insight though--teachers can't have Managed Apple IDs? In this article it's listed as optional. I do have both students and teachers using them.

bfrench
Contributor III

Teachers can have managed Apple ID's - they just do not have access to the appstore if they are using them.  If the Apple Classroom app you are purchasing in ASM is not appearing in Jamf to deploy to teachers perhaps you are using a different account or a different Apple Account to "purchase"  (-ie free) other apps in your district? The location and Apple ID you have set in Settings>Global>Volume Purchasing needs to match the account/location you are using in ASM.

efisher
New Contributor III

Apologies, I misread--yep, double-checked, the Apple ID is the same as in ASM. Honestly it is bizarre, all other licenses for apps I've purchased (free or otherwise) appear in Jamf for distribution, but the fact that this particular one that I've been having problems with specifically won't appear is so strange to me. Also triple-checked that I added the iOS rather than the macOS version. And just to see I went ahead and added a random app to ASM and it showed up in Jamf for deployment without issue. I appreciate your help!

bfrench
Contributor III

That seems odd.  If you look at the app in ASM and Manage Licenses is the Location correct to match what is in Jamf Settings>Global>Volume Purchasing

efisher
New Contributor III

It does match! I also just went back through and renewed my activation code and server tokens as well to see if that shook anything loose but nope. Odd is a good word for it!

bfrench
Contributor III

If you look at Settings>Global>Volume Purchasing>Content does the Classroom app appear in the list? Can you Refresh that app?

bfrench
Contributor III

another thing to try might be to go to Mobile Device Apps and select New from the top right corner.  Look for the Classroom app - make sure it's the Apple  app and Add.  Configure for Managed Distribution as usual...

efisher
New Contributor III

You're a gem. This worked! And it populated with the licenses I had from ASM. Wow! And Apple Classroom works as intended between the two iPads, one student and one teacher with no disabled options, the student automatically joined the class, exactly what I've been trying to do between a Mac and iPad--which mean the issue lies somewhere in there. This helps so much! Thank you!!

bfrench
Contributor III

The mac setup is a whole other can of worms.  The laptop has to be set with an MDM capable user. Basically the user has to be set up during prestage on the laptop.

https://learn.jamf.com/bundle/jamf-pro-documentation-current/page/MDM-Enabled_Local_User_Accounts.ht...

efisher
New Contributor III

This is an interesting wrinkle and one that I think I did correctly--in the Mac's General tab it does it has MDM Capability and I matched the MDM Capable User to the same Username in User and Locations. But if you have any other ideas, I would be so grateful. 

bfrench
Contributor III

But does it match the user/managed Apple ID from ASM? Does your import match those accounts together?

efisher
New Contributor III

Good question--Import recognizes that I have created classes in ASM but is missing identifying information. There are checkboxes to select but all "Class Name" etc are blank, however if I select one of the boxes and move forward with the import, it does match student and instructor info with what I have in ASM, if that makes sense. The usernames all match, User and Location username data matches as well, but the MAID does include @domain.org.

bfrench
Contributor III

Even though the name is the same the system must complete the match for the MDM capable user.

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 8.28.55 AM.png