JAMF Pro Rollout on prior owned devices

mahe55
New Contributor

I just started at an ORG and we have a bunch of iPads that were bought last year that are in storage. I was just tasked with starting this project as they bought JAMF Pro but haven't configured it yet. The iPads were not bought via Apple Business manager and are still in box. What would be the best way to set these up? We're waiting on a cert from Apple Business manager, but from what I understand that only helps out with new devices going forward? I was going to enable User Initiated Enrollment and then do them one at a time, but I wasn't sure of what account I should use to setup the iPad before connecting to the self enrollment portal.

Any help would be great, or just let me know if I'm on the right track or not. Thank you in advanced!

3 REPLIES 3

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

If the vendor who supplied the iPads is set up to be able to add them to your ABM account, then you can ask them to add them for you. Then once added you can enroll them using the ABM to JAMF route.
You can also set them up via Apple Configurator 2. You need an administrator account in ABM or a Device Manager account to be able to do this. Once set up via Configurator the end user has the option to exit from management for 30 days after the device was added to ABM. Personally I would put them back in the box for a month at this point and let them get past this exit point.

DA2022
New Contributor III

Great info from Paul, I would also take note if the vendor isn't able to add those devices for you to double check and make sure they are not enrolled into any other MDM system otherwise you won't be able to get them added to ABM.

PaulHazelden
Valued Contributor

If the devices are pre owned, and refurbished by Apple, then the only way to add them to your ABM or ASM is to use Configurator 2 app. The vendors are no longer allowed to add this type of device into your ABM, Apple changed those rules last year I think, maybe the year before. I certainly came across it in the second half of last year.