Jamf Protect vs McAfee

MikaelDez
Contributor

Hi everyone,

My security team is asking us to re-evaluate security options. Currently, we're using McAfee and I have some gripes with it. It was a PROCESS getting it to roll out to all of our Macs in a clean manner, right now I have the McAfee Agent updating/installing just fine, but the ENS product for threat prevention just doesn't update half the time. McAfee also seems to bog down our iMac labs. Performance is dramatically improved by turning off McAfee and it's a battle I constantly have with the faculty in those labs.

I have a test instance of Jamf Protect up right now, and I love it so far. Seems like it immediately identifies and blocks threats and the admin console is nice . However, my security team is used to the McAfee ENS app, where you can run an on demand scan of your system. It's not apparent that I'm able to do something like this with Jamf Protect.

In an ideal scenario, a user's computer would have a threat blocked, and then I would want to be able to run a scan on their system to ensure it was clean, and be able to remove those threats that the scan found. If I can accomplish this, I am sure that security will give me the green light on this and I'll be able to say goodbye to McAfee.

Thanks for any advice!

1 REPLY 1

gachowski
Valued Contributor II

@mike.desmarais

I think on demand scans are on their way, the modern AV products don't do that any more.. I haven't used Jamf Protect for a year so I am not update with how it works..

however our AV product doesn't scan either ... the idea is that the AV agent is installed on a clean machine and keep it clean using both Apple API and proprietary methods. That said the macOS as a built in tool that I think Apple used to "fix" zoom recently...

Also I think if something "know' get past the modern products then Jamf Pro should be able to remove it.. "old school " :)

Like I said I haven't used Jamf Protect since the 1st year it was available and I know they are upgrading every release so maybe someone with current knowledge will be more helpful...

C