Jamf taking over HD Encryption

kkeirstead
New Contributor III

Hi,

We are currently using Dell Data Protection (DDP) on our Macs to encrypt the drive and store the FileVault keys. We are looking to have Jamf take over encryption and storing the FileVault keys. For new Macs everything is working flawlessly, FileVault is turned on and the keys are stored in Jamf. On Macs running DDP we are able to deploy the script that prompts the user for their password and then stores the keys within Jamf. However once the keys are stored we are unable to uninstall DDP without first turning FileVault off, which causes problems for us. Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to switch from a third party encryption service to Jamf?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@kkeirstead I encountered this issue before, I came into an environment that had multiple versions of DDPE.

https://hugonaut.blog/automating-the-removal-of-dells-ddpe-encryption-from-macos-applying-filevault-...

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

tjhall
Contributor III

Sounds like you have two encryptions running at the same time? I'd say it's sufficient with just FileVault so can't you just remove the DDP?

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@kkeirstead I encountered this issue before, I came into an environment that had multiple versions of DDPE.

https://hugonaut.blog/automating-the-removal-of-dells-ddpe-encryption-from-macos-applying-filevault-...

kkeirstead
New Contributor III

Thanks @Hugonaut that looks exactly like what we are looking for. I will test this out on a few Macs in our lab.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

My Pleasure, happy to help @kkeirstead my slack is also Hugonaut if you want to chat directly & run into any snafus

kkeirstead
New Contributor III

Hi @Hugonaut I just wanted to reach out and thank you again, those scripts worked flawlessly for us! Thanks again!

steve0303
New Contributor

Hi @Hugonaut looks like DDPE will no longer be supported on BigSur, I am using your link to move our machines over from DDPE to Jamf, but ran into an issue with locating DDPEs Preference Pane and DDPEs Uninstall Script Location. Do you happen to have an updated script for 10.6 version? thank you