Jamf Teacher features in Jamf Pro

rpayment
New Contributor II

We have Jamf Pro on-prem and are just rolling out Jamf Teacher. Our teachers only have 5 options within Jamf teacher (Clear Restrictions, Start Lesson, Restrictions, Applock and Weblock) and I'm wondering if we've missed a setting or the other Jamf Teacher features I've heard about are only available through Jamf Schools or maybe Jamf Pro cloud. Has anyone come accross documentation about what Jamf Teacher features are available with Jamf Pro on-prem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

j_carroll
New Contributor III

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-teacher/configuration-guide/Feature_Reference_for_Jamf_Teacher.html

Unfortunately, Jamf Pro just doesn't have all of the features that Jamf School does. We ran into the same issue. We use cloud-hosted Jamf Pro.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

j_carroll
New Contributor III

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-teacher/configuration-guide/Feature_Reference_for_Jamf_Teacher.html

Unfortunately, Jamf Pro just doesn't have all of the features that Jamf School does. We ran into the same issue. We use cloud-hosted Jamf Pro.

Kelly_Conrad
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@rpayment @j_carroll Hey! I know this is a bit of an older thread, but since you both mentioned using Jamf Teacher with Jamf Pro, I was wondering if you may be able to answer a few questions I have:

1. How many devices do you have?

2. How often teachers are using Jamf Teacher?

3. Do you have a influx of pending commands when it’s used?

4. Are there any features that show up, but don’t actually work?

If you're willing to share info on those items, that would be incredibly helpful!

A few teachers in the pilot came to rely on Jamf Teacher but in the end there were too many problems on the back end to continue using it. These are all the issues I was made aware of in our Pilot.

Good

* students automatically show up in Jamf Teacher
* student numbers automatically show up in Apple Classroom (populates from the username field in Jamf)
* restrictions are very effective
* creating a lesson that locks them into one website will automatically send them to that website
* creating a lesson that limits them to 2 or more websites populates their favourites in Safari with those websites
* Jamf teacher works even when the kids are else where in the building or at home
* Jamf teacher works even if the kids are on WLAN, Visitor or Enterprise
* restricting airdrop, messages, safari, app store is really easy and effective.
* clearing a passcode is really easy
* App lock works well for restricting them only to the apps you want them to use
* Weblock works well when you only want them to access one website
* There don’t seem to be any ways that students can get around restrictions that are assigned through Jamf Teacher

Bad

* can restrict safari, but cannot individually restrict other browsers
* In Apple Classroom we only see the student numbers because this is the assigned username in Jamf. We don’t see any names for students.
* You can’t create additional Apple Classrooms, eg teachers that platoon can’t create additional classes
* ending lessons and clearing restriction in Jamf Teacher causes all the student’s apps to become unsorted and all folders emptied. There does not appear to be reason for the order in which they are put back.
* there is no list of currently active restrictions so teachers are required to keep track of what restrictions are currently active
* there is no way to block one website. eg. you can block the Snapchat app but can’t block the website
* Jamf Teacher doesn’t work from laptops

Buggy

* In Jamf Teacher, students show up by first name and their last name comes and goes.
* clearing restrictions sometimes takes a while to clear, although leaving the class works reliably to clear all restrictions
* in lessons, locking students into a website sometimes requires multiple attempts for the website to save. Manually entering the website seems more reliable that copy/paste.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed (the "addressee") and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use that a person other than the addressee makes of this communication is prohibited and any reliance or decisions made based on it, are the responsibility of such person. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by any person other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or actions taken based on this communication or otherwise. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

Thank you SO much for such a detailed response! This is immensely helpful. I have a few follow up questions for you:

How many devices were a part of your pilot?

How many teachers (approximately) were involved in the pilot?

Are you in Jamf Cloud or self hosted? 

Did you notice any slow downs/a backlog of pending commands in Jamf Pro when teachers were actively using Jamf Teacher and sending out commands?

We had 7 classrooms in the pilot.

We were self hosted.

I didn’t notice any slow downs related to Jamf Teacher but I wasn’t looking for them either.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed (the "addressee") and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use that a person other than the addressee makes of this communication is prohibited and any reliance or decisions made based on it, are the responsibility of such person. We accept no responsibility for any loss or damages suffered by any person other than the addressee as a result of decisions made or actions taken based on this communication or otherwise. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this e-mail.

glennlewandowsk
New Contributor

Hi guys,

Just trying to get Jamf teacher up and running. Using Jamf Pro Cloud. Can teachers use Jamf Teacher on a MacBook laptop or has to be on a mobile device? Also I have installed Jamf Teacher on a MacBook from the App store but am unable to login. I have entered our jamf cloud url and tried my jamf local account details but just has an error message saying to contact your schools IT department for further support?

Hey! So we tried this too, but Jamf Teacher when using Jamf Pro can only be used on an iOS device. If you had Jamf School, you could use it on a Mac.