jamfhelper and adobe cs 4

Bukira
Contributor

Hi,

Is anyone having issues with the jamfhelper and CS 4 deployment during imaging.

When an autorun contains CS 4 it creates a FirstRun script to install CS 4, when the mac reboots it logs in as Adobe installer client and then runs the jamfhelper to lock the Screen with a full screen image.

This worked fine in the test lab but is now not working in my live environment

Using Casper 7.0.1 in both lab and live,

Anyone else had this issue?

Criss Criss Myers
Senior Customer Support Analyst (Mac Services)
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Business Support Team
Library 301
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

9 REPLIES 9

ernstcs
Contributor III

I suppose its not holiday for you today Chris? =)

I use them in all my labs and new office installs. My problems are not JAMF FirstRun related as they are very inconsistant and unreliable Adobe installs.

What is happening? Never ends? Never successfully installs?

If you know the IP adress of the system and can SSH in, run 'sudo killall LockScreen' and that will get you the GUI to use console to see what's going on. Check the adobe install logs, jamf logs, and activity monitor.

Cheers!

Craig Ernst
UW-Eau Claire
(715) 836-3639

Sent from my iPhone

heathjw
New Contributor

I'm having a similar issue with the Adobe CS4 installer not working exactly like it is supposed to. I get the adobe installer backdrop but then a dock, menu bar and finder window pop up. Then it completes the install normally, but stays logged in as adobeinstall. My troubleshooting hasn't yielded results, so it's hard to say what is conflicting here. It also seems to be somwhat inconsistent as to when this occurs...I wish I had time right now to troubleshoot it from the groud up. As it is, the install does work, just not exactly as it is supposed to.

Anyhow, I'm curious to hear if people have found similar behavior, and if so, what their solution was. Thanks.

Jay

Bukira
Contributor

Hi Jay,

Thats exactly what i get, the

"Installing adobe products......" etc locked screen does not appear, i get full access to the finder but logged in as the adobe installer user.

I have 2 imacs that previously worked fine and not both have the same behavior, this is with Casper 7.0.1 and 7.1 on a live and a test server

It installs fine, the problem is a student could use the client while it was installing without having to login etc

If i cant solve this i will just have to go live with this behaviour

Criss

Criss Myers
Library 301
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

heathjw
New Contributor

Could it be conflicts during FirstRun? I am running a few other things at FirstRun. Based on my configurations, I add certain local users via script at reboot, a few printers mapping to OD, and also a Smart software installer policy (which as per Jamf support is triggered via firstrun). I'd love to know more about how FirstRun works--might help with troubleshooting.

What makes me wonder about a conflict is that I have seen the adobe installer attempt to log out after CS4 is installed, it deletes everything in the home folder except Library and unmounts the installer DMG. What is causing it to remain logged in?

- Jay Heath

Fieldston Lower

ernstcs
Contributor III

Not likely a conflict. FirstRun does each step and typically waits to start the next. You can see what it all will do if you image a system, do not boot into the imaged side, and look in System/Library/StartUpItems/FirstRun.

I know I've seen this before as well, but It was with 7.0 I believe. Odd its happening on these newer.

If the lockscreen app/binary and lock.png image for adobe are in the FirstRun I'm not sure what's happening. Might need to dig deeper into All Messages in console to see errors or what not.

Craig Ernst
UW-Eau Claire
(715) 836-3639

Sent from my iPhone

Bukira
Contributor

I'm at home now so can't check, I see jamfhelper.app and it's contents, should the lockscreen app be separate, could u send a screen shot of the firstrun folder contents?

I don't recall a lockscreen.app

If not how am I gonna get it in there

Criss

ernstcs
Contributor III

Attached is a screen of how it should look.

The right window is what’s inside of jamfHelper. I was mistaken about a copy of the lockscreen app also being copied in it, but the Lock.jpg (not png) needs to be there. JAMF must call the app a little different than what I do to customize it for my needs. Again, if you see the image file in the right place I’m not really sure what’s going on to prevent the lock screen from coming up. Probably worth a support email/call.

Cheers!

Craig E

Bukira
Contributor

RESULT

Not sure if this affected Jay as well but this was my cause

It was Apple Remote Desktop client update to version 3.3.1, it was added as a package in the configuration

Removed it and the CS4 helper works a treat

Criss

Criss Myers
Library 301
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5054
01772 895054

heathjw
New Contributor

This did the trick for me as well.

Now that it works correctly, I have a new problem...I use the Smart software FirstRun installer as noted on JAMF's Support site<http://www.jamfsoftware.com/kb/article.php?id=234>. The first item of the FirstRun is mapping to our OD, so the computer boots to the loginwindow. Then, since the Adobe installer logs back out after the installation, the Smart policy cannot execute, and thus the software is not installed. Has anyone else experienced this? I'll be calling JAMF tomorrow to see if I can get to the bottom of this, but I'm wondering if anyone else uses the OD mapping, followed by the CS4 installer, followed by the Smart install by policy as per the above KB article (I know it's a pretty specific config...)

Let me know! Thanks.

- Jay Heath

Fieldston Lower