JSS 9.61 and device enrollment issues

mmayo
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded our JSS server about a week ago from 9.31 to 9.61 and for the most part, everything has been going smoothly. Device enrollment via imaging is working fine, but if I try to go to https://jss.mycompany.com:8443/enroll/ on an OS X device, I'm automatically prompted to enroll an iOS device. I even went to the URL on a Windows 7 system, selected OS X (only available option because Android and iOS are disabled in JSS) and it still says Please enroll your iOS device.

If I proceed with that step using my login credentials, I'm asked to assign to a user and when I do, I reach a download page that says Download and install this package. When I click download, it just redirects to a blank page and "flatpackagedownload" is at the end of the URL.

If I try to reload the browser on the enroll page, I get a screen that says Install the downloaded QuickAdd.pkg with a spinning progress icon but nothing ever downloads nor was ever downloaded.

Manual device enrollment worked in 9.31 and seems to be broken at least in my installation of 9.61, so I wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem. If so, what did you do to resolve it?

7 REPLIES 7

chlaird
Contributor
When I click download, it just redirects to a blank page and "flatpackagedownload" is at the end of the URL.

Seen it, hate it, can't figure out how to fix it.

geoffreykobrien
Contributor

Could you provide what platform you're running on (Windows, Linux, Mac)?

Have you tried shutting down the tomcat processes, and clearing out the work folder to ensure it's not a caching issue o the server side?

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@chlaird @mmayo

When I click download, it just redirects to a blank page and "flatpackagedownload" is at the end of the URL.

We've been able to reproduce that particular behavior under the following situation:

- Type in the IP address or an internal only name (such as, for one of my test machines if I typed in "https://ip.address.here:8443/enroll "https://win2k8vm:8443/enroll") that isn't the same as the JSS URL specified in the JSS.

- Try to enroll.

- Get the blank page.

The fix is to not use the IP address or the internal only name for the server and to instead use the actual JSS URL that is specified under Global Management >> JSS URL.

We do have it opened up as a known issue ( D-007951), but the route being taken looks as though it will be to provide an actual error or notice as to what the problem is instead of just redirecting to a blank page that doesn't give any clue as to what happened or what went wrong in the process.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mmayo
New Contributor II
@geoffreykobrien Could you provide what platform you're running on (Windows, Linux, Mac)? Have you tried shutting down the tomcat processes, and clearing out the work folder to ensure it's not a caching issue o the server side?

JSS is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. As far as stopping the Tomcat service, I have not done that (and can't do that yet) until maybe a little later in the work day when there are less users using it, but I'll definitely give it a try.

@amanda.wulff The fix is to not use the IP address or the internal only name for the server and to instead use the actual JSS URL that is specified under Global Management >> JSS URL.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same results when using the URL specified in Global Management > JSS URL. It instantly goes to the Install the downloaded QuickAdd.pkg page with the spinning progress icon.

As I try the Tomcat suggestion later today, I'll post the results.

mmayo
New Contributor II

So, I stopped the Tomcat service, made a backup of the content in the work directory and deleted the existing folder there, and I let JSS regenerate it all.

After that, I went to the enroll site and it still gives me the Enroll iOS device screen. I logged in and when it asked me to assign a user, I left that blank and proceeded. It then went to the Install the downloaded QuickAdd.pkg page and actually downloaded a QuickAdd.pkg this time. The device I did this from is already enrolled so I'm going to test this on a device that hasn't been enrolled.

Aside from the page dialog being incorrect (asking to enroll an iOS device from an OS X user agent), I think this is going to work but I'll leave this open until I test it.

Thank you @geoffreykobrien and @amanda.wulff both for your suggestions.

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@mmayo

Thanks for the update! I'm going to go ahead and add this info to the known issue we have just in case anyone calls in or submits a case with the same symptoms.

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

mmayo
New Contributor II

I tried this on a device that wasn't enrolled. I got mixed results (was unable to get a QuickAdd download via Safari). I downloaded Chrome and after a few tries of going to the JSS URL, I was able to download the QuickAdd package.

Installation stated it failed but my device did enroll and I was able to install packages, so the experience is hit or miss when it comes to enrolling. It's not the experience we had with 9.31 and previously 9.2.

Not a consistent experience so still awaiting a solution.