JSS Pro Hosted v 10.2.2 - Enable third-party System Preference Panes - MCX Settings

jcshofner
New Contributor III

There is a third party app (BlackMagic Video) that also has a system preference pane. Their system preference pane is disabled, but they need it enabled. I went through many discussion boards on this topic, and I have not found any solution to enabling a third-party system preference pane through the hosted version of JSS Pro. I recently set up a configuration profile which displays a text message at the login screen. After I added that text message, the system preference app has not allowed users to access touch id and other third-party apps. I added the restrictions section and checked all system preferences. But I need something to add the third-party system preference panes, so that they can be enabled. Any help and guidance would be extremely appreciated...

3 REPLIES 3

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Do you need to restrict any preference panes? It sounds like you have the "Restrict items in System Preferences" set, so you're basically white-listing the approved panes. On my server, I have 3rd party panes available in my restrictions list for Java and MySQL -

jcshofner
New Contributor III

No, I do not need any system preference panes restricted. We have them all opened. Once, I added that log in text, certain system preference panes, touch id, became disabled. So, I added restrictions, checked Restrict Items in system preferences, checked enable selected items, and checked all items in system preference panes, including Java and MySQL. None of that enabled Touch ID.
But since, a user downloaded and install BlackMagic Video drivers on their Mac, I need to add a system preference pane for the BlackMagic Video drivers so that it can be enabled for them. It is currently disabled!

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

Remove your restriction. You're implying a specific "whitelist" by checking the "Restrict Items" selection... you're basically saying "if it isn't on this list, restrict it". Remove the restriction from the config profile and see what happens...

That's basically one of those areas of "If you don't need it, don't touch it" since it basically locks you out of anything it doesn't know about.