JSS upgrade from v8.73 to 9.24 on Redhat 6

suleymantwana
New Contributor III

We're having numerous problems after upgrading our Dev JSS from version 8.73 to 9.24. Almost all our managed preferences are missing! The add new button in computers' Configuration Profile has disappeared! In my opinion this should be a beta and not a public release! Please share your experience if you have similar issues. Jamf are releasing these updates in an astonishing speed. To me, that has resulted in bad QA.

8 REPLIES 8

bjohnson
New Contributor

Did you happen to read the following KB about Managed Preferences that was in the release notes?
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=338

For the add new button issue do you have both Enable certificate-based authentication to Ensure that the JSS verifies that device certificates on OS X computers are valid and Enable push notifications turned on? You will also need a valid APN uploaded to the JSS.

kanderson
New Contributor

I agree with your comments regarding the lack of QA.

localhorst
Contributor

Yes there are still some issues with 9.2x but the JAMF account managers and support staff do an excellent identifying the issues and development responds very quick to critical issues. Please keep in mind that JSS 9 is a rewrite from scratch not only aiming at feature parity but also introducing great new concepts like Sites. I would encourage you to report all problems though your AM, request defect IDs, and share them here in the forum. This helps all of us to avoid the same issues you are experiencing and makes the product better.

suleymantwana
New Contributor III

Thank you all for your comments! In regards of Managed Preferences, we're are aware of the shortcomings in version 9.x. But some of our MPs are imported from the JSS provided templates, and are still missing! In regards of Configuration Profile, we do have Push Notification Certificate installed on the server and if I rollback to version 9.22, the button reappears again.

We're trying to file as much bugs and issues we find with Jamf.

franton
Valued Contributor III

I suspect you may have database issues. Our test environment ported over just fine, except for our array based MCX which I have a feature request outstanding for.

Matt
Valued Contributor

Also keep in mind that MCX is going away and Config Profiles are taking over.

franton
Valued Contributor III

I'm tired of this. No it isn't.

They've depreciated workgroup manager for 10.9 but NOT MCX. Config Profiles themselves contain MCX settings and the MCX Compositor part of OS X is still going strong. Local MCX as implemented by Casper will be around for a while yet.

Matt
Valued Contributor

When Apple introduced APNS and Configuration Profiles they did so for a reason. This is the future and the implementation of Config Profiles is much better than MCX. You can put the MCX data in to the Config Profiles. Nothing to get testy about but sooner or later the dinosaurs are going die. Give it a shot though Config Profiles are a good thing.