Keeping things up to date

Kedgar
Contributor

Hello, Is anyone out there using patchoo and/or autopkgr successfully in a production environment? I'd like to hear your experiences if you are doing so. I'm just starting to play with Patchoo, and have run into many consistency snags with Autopkgr... mainly recipe issues that don't allow for packages to be downloaded.

5 REPLIES 5

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

paging @loceee and @emilykausalik

franton
Valued Contributor III

The issue I have with autopkg generally is the JSS (and munki) recipes are tailored for the people who wrote them. So much so, that I don't use the auto import functionality on them anymore. Try the .pkg recipes and import manually. If that fixes things then you're best off creating your own autopkg import recipes.

loceee
Contributor

The best way forward to integrate AutoPkg with other tools is custom recipes that build necessary JSS requirements automatically. I haven't had time since I moved jobs... and I also would like to squash the need for all those smart groups with P2! But again, I haven't had the time. :(

There is a fork from Allister's first JSSImporter sitting here https://github.com/patchoo/jss-autopkg-addon

It's stale, but you could mess with it - it was making smart groups for new imported autopkgs last time I tried, but once I get some time I hope to make AutoPkg *.patchoo recipes for P2! that would allow a seamless integration. Again, requiring locking down the new requirements. Of course we are all hoping JAMF's functionality just makes all this redundant.. which again another reason I haven't sunk extra hours in.

Kedgar
Contributor

Thanks all :)

loceee
Contributor

All that being said. If getting the pkg created and imported into the JSS automated is good! You might just have delete some policies and groups, then manually create the patchoo bits if using existing recipes.