Kernel Panic another one. (any one help)

MAD0oM
Contributor

deleted

6 REPLIES 6

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Okay....and?

Have you done any troubleshooting at all? Have you run the Apple Diagnostics (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5781) tool?

Do you have another same-generation iMac? If so, can you swap RAM for a few days and see if the KP's continue?

In my experience, 90%+ of kernel panics are caused by hardware problems, and the most common is bad or marginal RAM.

Do you have any peripherals attached? Can you detach them for a day or two and see if the problem goes away? I've seen some old USB peripherals cause problems on newer Macs.

MAD0oM
Contributor

did all that. All seems well but still KP seems to be happening at least once a day @damienbarrett

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You have the following USB devices hooked up to this Mac, some of which I would disconnect (underlined ones are what I would attack) KPs can sometimes be related to incompatible USB devices or bad drivers.

USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
USB Device: Keyboard Hub
USB Device: Store n Go Drive
USB Device: Apple Keyboard
USB Device: Intuos5 touch M

Also not sure if that Keyboard Hub is an external device or just how the OS registers the internal USB hub. I think that may be something external. Any one of those could be your culprit.

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Typically, the offending thing shows up in the backtrace, so it's as good a place to start as any. In your KP log above, it's showing your HID and USB kernel extensions as potential culprits. I'd start there. I know you *say* you've removed all your attached devices, but have you really? Are you sure? Even your keyboard and mouse (use different ones)?

MAD0oM
Contributor

all great advice ill take it and try working on them now. Thanks a lot folks

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I agree. Unfortunately USB relies on so much of your computer it can be hard to pin down. The log seems to point in that direction... Regardless, I hope you've got AppleCare. It could easily be the logic board as well and that's not that pretty. Anytime I see this type of stuff I always check

1) Firmware Updates... (long shot)
2) USB chain (as mentioned)
3) Memory
4) Hard Drive
5) Dammit... try not to get to number 5