killall script & 10.6 restart

Not applicable

I just thought I'd post something that I found, in case it impacts anyone at some point. I was having this weird issue when I recon'd a machine running any version of 10.6 (tested from .1 up through .4, with no other software except the basic OS), when you'd try to RESTART from the Finder, it would flash you right back to the desktop, or, if login box was enabled, it would flash you back to the login box. At that point, you would have to choose RESTART from the login box window-and then it would work. This baffled me for a couple of days. I made sure no MCX settings were getting managed. However, I realized that I had a policy with the scope of "all managed clients" which I use to help kick-start logout for end-users. It's just a simple "killall loginwindow" command. It works great for my 10.5 machines, but, apparently it doesn't play nicely with 10.6. I'm trying to search around as to what Apple actually changed in 10.6 to make this conflict. If anyone knows, let me know!

Anyway, the simple workaround here was to create a smart group for 10.5 machines and one for 10.6, then just apply that killall policy to the 10.5. machines-which I still need.

On that note, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle the issue of Log-out getting stuck by miscellaneous applications? This is a huge problem in public labs for me. I need to find a solution that will work on 10.6.

Thanks!
-
lauren

-
LAUREN NICHOLAS
User Support Analyst - Hurd Campus
Center for Information Technology - CIT
Moravian College
ph. 610 861 1633

0 REPLIES 0