LANDesk says the suite can manage Mac.....

jbeaty
New Contributor

But I'm finding this to be not the case. We have not had a working agent for 9-12 months now and have to keep the agents on older versions limiting us from rolling out OS X 10.11.

I wanted to get some feedback from the community to see if anyone had experience with LANDesk and if they switched to Casper.

Even anyone that just wants to let me know why you chose Casper and what features you are using.

We are looking for inventory, software dist., remote control, and vulnerability scanning and patching. Available for systems to communicate while not on the network (LANDesk has a Cloud Services Appliance). A nice to have is certificate management which can probably be done via profiles.

Any feedback would be helpful.

Joe

6 REPLIES 6

bainter
Contributor

We currently use LANDesk for patch management on our Windows clients. We were using LANDesk on Macs, but no longer. Casper Suite is now used to manage Macs, augmented with Apple Remote Desktop.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

Same boat as bainter. They have the capabilities to do the job but are slow to release agents for the mac. I personally like to have specialized software to manage different operating systems.

I currently manage LAndesk 9.6 SP2 as well as casper suite. I don't both touching the macs with LANdesk.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@jbeaty We had LANDesk for both Windows and Mac. Never really worked well on the Mac. Once we got Casper rolled out one of the first policies we ran was the LANDesk Uninstaller.

bainter
Contributor

@ddcdennisb Have you noticed how much cruft (plists, etc) the official LANDesk uninstall.sh leaves behind? I've had to keep adjusting it to get rid of it all.

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

@bainter if you use the uninstaller that comes with LANDesk i've found it cleans up pretty well.

Its been about 2 years since I went through all that though.

sean
Valued Contributor

Never used it, but if you need an excuse to move away...

Landesk Breach