Limit policy to Ethernet isn't working

mthakur
Contributor

If I limit a policy by setting "Network Connection" to "Ethernet", like this:
2fa5182a5267476297f44a51a9187d67
then the policy isn't visible in Self Service, neither for a MacPro (built-in Ethernet) nor for a MacBook Pro (Thunderbolt Ethernet).

If I set "Network Connection" to "Any", then the policy becomes visible in Self Service.

The policy was created by "cloning" another policy, in case that makes a difference.

This is on OS X v10.10.4 and JSS 9.72.

Has anyone else gotten the "Network Connection" setting to work correctly through Self Service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mthakur
Contributor

From the release notes for Casper Suite v9.73:

Self Service for OS X [D-007564] Fixed an issue that prevented Self Service policies configured to require an ethernet network connection from displaying in Self Service if users are not required to log in.

I'll upgrade my JSS to v9.73 (currently running v9.72) and try again.

Moral of the story: RTFM.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mthakur
Contributor

In addition, does anyone know how exactly Self Service (or the jamf executable) checks for the presence of an Ethernet connection? There is nothing in /var/log/jamf.log.

Additional information: If I create a custom event (called say "foobar") for the policy, then I am able to successfully invoke the same policy from the command line (e.g. "sudo jamf policy -event foobar") — but not via Self Service.

Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :)

scottb
Honored Contributor

When I tried this a year or so ago, I too saw that. Opted to move on but yeah, it seems to not work so I'd like to hear what the gods here have to say...

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I can't say we've ever actually used this feature, at least not in recent memory. From the sounds of it, it may be a legacy piece of the product that doesn't work anymore. I wonder if it relied on a hardcoded port identifier for Ethernet, like assuming that en0 is built in Ethernet, before Macs started to shed those ports. I also don't know exactly what the JSS uses to know if Ethernet or Wi-Fi is in use at the time the policy runs. Would be interesting to know what this relies on.

mthakur
Contributor

From the release notes for Casper Suite v9.73:

Self Service for OS X [D-007564] Fixed an issue that prevented Self Service policies configured to require an ethernet network connection from displaying in Self Service if users are not required to log in.

I'll upgrade my JSS to v9.73 (currently running v9.72) and try again.

Moral of the story: RTFM.