Lost or Stolen iPads/Computers

lee_smith
Contributor

Hey Everyone!

With the new school year starting we are experiencing teachers either losing their iPads or worse being stolen.

The devices are managed through Casper and I can see their last check in times (inventory update). However, we are not tracking them at the moment.

How do you all handle tracking Apple Devices?
- Do you enable locations services with a generic admin account?
- Do you let the teachers/staff enable location services under their Apple ID?

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome.

Lee

1 REPLY 1

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

There really isn't a perfect answer at the moment. Basically we handle it in our district as a "personal responsibility" issue. Teachers are issued the iPad and are responsible for handing it back in upon resigning or changing positions for whatever reason. They are advised that "Find my iPad" is a consumer-facing feature that they should sign up for to track a lost iPad themselves. Students are advised the same thing only their teachers at least check that it is turned on during setup.

That being said, I have come under pressure from district officials many times to assist in locating an iPad. I always tell them to produce the Apple ID used with the device if possible. That helps. It also helps that our network is sub-netted in such a way that the last IP address used to check in can at least tell me what building and zone of the building the device was last seen at. If it shows an external, the best I can tell them is that it was last seen outside of the district.

I have wanted a good tracking method, but am ever mindful that I don't want a news story with a headline "30+ year old man tracks thousands of users' locations"...that would be very bad press so I have ramped up the "personal responsibility" aspect and help where I can. The holy grail would be a tracking mechanism I could use in a pinch, but never touch unless I have to under how I do my job.

Hope this gives you some background,
blackholemac