Mac Apps do not install

pfotenhauer
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I have a strange behaviour here: I have enough licences of Pages, Numbers, Keynote and iMovie via Apple School Manager and assigned them to two Smart Computer Groups via "Mac Apps". So far this has always worked, even without the computers being logged in with an Apple ID.

Now, however, I update the computers to Ventura and suddenly the Mac Apps no longer install automatically. I have also set the distribution method to "Make available in Self Service" as a test, but nothing happens other than the circle turning.

Under the Mac Apps in the History tab, the software is set to pending. I also removed my test computer from the scope, executed "sudo jamf policy", brought the computer back into the scope and executed "sudo jamf policy" again. The programmes still don't want to install.

Do I now have to give the computers an Apple ID for this to work or can this also have other causes?

Thank you in advance
Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It has cleared up. Since Big Sur it's a known behaviour as reported in a PI PI103070; Mac App Store Apps do not install with the restriction "Require admin password to install or update apps" checked with macOS Self Service. But the automatic installation also seems to be affected.

Disabling this setting should help fix the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

It seems like there might be an issue with the distribution of Mac apps through Apple School Manager after upgrading to Ventura. To troubleshoot the issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check the logs: Check the logs in JAMF for any errors that may be causing the Mac Apps to not install automatically.

2.  Verify that the Mac Apps are still assigned to the smart computer groups in Apple School Manager.

3. Ensure that there are no restrictions set in JAMF that may be preventing the Mac Apps from installing.

4.  Ensure that the computers have network connectivity to the JAMF server.

5. Check that the computers have enough storage to install the Mac Apps.

6. Try manual installation: Try manually installing the Mac Apps through Self-Service to see if that resolves the issue.

7. If the issue persists after trying the above steps, reach out to Apple Support for further assistance.

Thank you for the detailed answer. I have just opened a ticket with Apple Support.

It has cleared up. Since Big Sur it's a known behaviour as reported in a PI PI103070; Mac App Store Apps do not install with the restriction "Require admin password to install or update apps" checked with macOS Self Service. But the automatic installation also seems to be affected.

Disabling this setting should help fix the problem.