Mac Connecting to Windows Servers

chargrov
New Contributor II

Hey All,

I'm setting up my JAMF PRO server prior to jumpstart and I wanted to have the mac's bound to the network prior to jumpstart. I was able to bind the machine but it will not connect to any of the windows servers. Is there anything else I need to do on the DC or on the Mac itself? Also what's needed to setup LDAP on the JAMF PRO server? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

When you say connect to your windows server, what do you mean?

chargrov
New Contributor II

As in smb://10.114.

It goes as if it want's to connect but never succeed

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

hmmm..... is your computer asking for authentication? if not, maybe the Keychain has something stored thats wrong/incomplete

chargrov
New Contributor II

Nope, it doesn't even prompt for authentication. It just times out and says can't connect. I thought once it's bound to the network it should be able to connect to those servers. I'm wondering if there's a feature on the windows side that I need to turn on so that the Mac can see it.

steve_summers
Contributor III

@chargrov , dumb question here, so sorry if it's obvious. These folders you wanna connect to on your windows box. Are they shared? If not, you won't be able to connect to any thing.

Dylan_YYC
Contributor III

@steve.summers i was just about to ask that!

steve_summers
Contributor III

@chargrov If the folders you want to connect to are not shared on the Windows server, you can't connect to them.
The web can provide multiple tut's on how to share files and folders if you need a refresher, but I'd start there my good man. Share the folders, make sure you are connecting to them with an account able to do so then you should be in business. After wards. you should be able to go to smb://<servername/share_name and either be prompted for an account and pw to connect with or just get right on.

Hope that helps.

rdwhitt
Contributor II

Assuming that you do have sharing enabled, my other question would be; are these DFS shares? If so, you may want to ensure all appropriate DNS search domains are added to each network interface (wireless, ethernet). Typically your DHCP admins will do this by default, but ours only adds the campus specific DNS search domains. This means Macs won't connect to DFS shares until we add the appropriate search domains.

I use a slight variation of @rtrouton 's script found here.

Good luck!

chargrov
New Contributor II

Thanks you all, I figured it out. It was an IPSEC issue.