Mac in PreStage Enrollments but cannot add to Static Computer Group

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

So I assigned a Mac via the Apple School Manager to our Jamf MDM server.

In Jamf PreStage Enrollments I now see this newly assigned device.

However, when I try to add this Mac to a Static Computer group I cannot see it.

Our hope is that as we assign newly arriving Macs via the Apple School Manager they will show up in PreStage Enrollments and then we will add to a Static Group that has all the policies that we want to apply including AD binding.

Of note, this newly assigned computer has not run through the setup assistant yet (for the purposes of this discussion let's say it is still in the box and never turned on)

What are we doing wrong? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mk2000 You can create a Smart Group with the Criteria "Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment" and Operator "Is" with Value "Name of your PreStage Enrollment". Use that Smart Group to scope the policies you want to apply.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

Though I suppose I can make a Smart Group that looks for specific serials so once that machine does enroll it immediately applies policies set for that Smart Group?

nvandam
Contributor II

For Jamf to add a device to a group, whether it’s Smart or Static, the device must already be enrolled in Jamf. When something is only in a prestage Jamf doesn’t really know about it yet. Rather Jamf knows what’s in your ASM account.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mk2000 You can create a Smart Group with the Criteria "Enrollment Method: PreStage enrollment" and Operator "Is" with Value "Name of your PreStage Enrollment". Use that Smart Group to scope the policies you want to apply.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

what @sdagley said is definitely the way to go!

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

fernando_gonzal
Contributor

Thanks @sdagley that did it!

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mk2000 Glad to hear it. I should have mentioned that, if you haven't already, you should look into DEPNotify Starter for Jamf Pro it really simplifies the process of running multiple policies to configure a DEP Enrolled Mac

snowfox
Contributor III

@ sdagley Thank you!!! Your solution should be 'PINNED' to the top of Jamf Nation. I've been tearing my hair out over this for the past week. It's 'gotchas' like this that aren't covered on Jamfs training catalogue videos or documentation.

Another one I had to fix was the Global Management - Re-enrollment - Clear policy logs on computers - button not being ticked. All my 'run once' policies for apps needed to be manually flushed each time I ran a DEP test run until I found this setting to automate the process.