Mac OS 10.12 connecting to older Windows Servers

cbooker
New Contributor III

I know this is off topic as it is not related to JAMF software but is related to Mac OS. Has anyone else experienced problems with connecting to older Windows server file shares via SMB protocol. We have 1 older Windows server 2003 box here and we recently started upgrading our Macs to Sierra 10.12. And the Macs we have upgraded will not connect to this older Windows server 2003. But our older Macs have no problem at all.

If anyone has any input or solutions that would be great.
Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cbooker
New Contributor III

Ok, I have figured out my problem and maybe this will help someone else. For some reason now in Mac OS 10.12 we have to use DomainUsername format in the login window for it to work when connecting to SMB shares. In the older Mac OS when never had to do that before.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

LaurentDupont
New Contributor

Hi cbooker,

Did you try to put CIFS in place of SMB ?

That force the Mac to connect with CIFS (Common Internet File System) on older Windows Server.

Laurent

steve_summers
Contributor III

CBooker,
Also, I suggest you look at this JAMFNation post:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/23432/connect-share-drive

There is a defaults write command you need to enter for the OS to "allow" the connections.
I have the exact same issue with my Macs I'm managing. I've had to take the approach to switch over to CIFS (From SMB), plus entering the aforementioned defaults write command, have clients reboot, then they can browse drives as normal. It works, but it IS pretty slow in reading in all the files/folder permissions. Hope that helps.

cbooker
New Contributor III

Steve.summers ok I will give that a try and see if it works.
Thank you.

cbooker
New Contributor III

Ok, I have figured out my problem and maybe this will help someone else. For some reason now in Mac OS 10.12 we have to use DomainUsername format in the login window for it to work when connecting to SMB shares. In the older Mac OS when never had to do that before.