macOS block access to iTunes sign-in / prevent downloading purchases

costes
New Contributor II

Students laptops running Mojave. I'd like to be able to prevent students from signing in with an account in iTunes and download purchased movies/media. We do allow iTunes for students to locally put approved media into their library. First thought was blacklisting iTunes.apple.com, but I fear if JAMF needs that or if other services would be broken.

1 REPLY 1

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

As a former EDU Sys Admin, I had these same things brought to my attention. In the end I tried to steer people toward classroom management and not a technology solution. I was never going to block iTunes.

To compound this, Apple signs all their software with the same signing cert, so using something like Santa (from Google) isn't really going to work either for blocking apps. Lastly, all Apple apps are SIP protected, so really you just have to accept it is there and it is available.

I would go back to classroom management and let the teachers and administrators handle students that may be abusing Org technology instead of trying to block it, because you aren't going to have a good time trying to block it.