macOS Notifications via swiftDialog (0.0.1)

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II
Easily create simple macOS Notifications with swiftDialog v2

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 4.29.24 PM.png

Background

For the last several weeks, the now 550+ users who frequent the MacAdmin’s Slack #swiftDialog channel have been all abuzz about Bart Reardon’s soon-to-be-released version 2 of swiftDialog.

One of the features I’ve personally been anxious to try is macOS Notifications via swiftDialog, but as Bart explained when he closed the feature request with wontfix, Apple’s restrictions conflict with what many Mac Admins require: Branded Notifications.

Voodoo

Then, two days ago, Bart posted:

Special bonus installer – Same build as RC2 but with some voodoo in the pkg

Place an image (recommended 512×512 png) at /Library/Application Support/Dialog/Dialog.png and then run the installer.

Two words: It works!

Continue reading …

7 REPLIES 7

alewko
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your great work and your useful scripts :)

I have a very strange issue with this one : everything is set as explained on your website, but the popup never show up. When I do manually a "sudo jamf policy -event" in my terminal, the notification popup arrives. Any idea ?

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

@alewko Does the following Terminal command produce the expected output?

dialog --notification --title "Title goes here" --subtitle "Subtitle goes here" --message "Message goes here"

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 2.34.11 PM.png

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 2.34.11 PM.png

alewko
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

With a sudo before, yes.

IMHO, it looks like the display notification message is in a "buffer" like state and is waiting for a command to be issued when run from a jamf policy. Manually everything works fine. Another weird issue is on some endpoints, even with a configuration profile pushed to a 1st stage, the display app is not shown in the notifications panel.

The SwiftDialog message window works fine on the other hand.

Philein
New Contributor III

did you solve the error?

alewko
New Contributor II

Nop, we took the decision to use the Display Message via swiftDialog instead of Apple's notification system.

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

In case the following proves helpful:

Custom Branded Notifications & Messages with swiftDialog