MacOS Sequoia Hardware Compatibility regex

Eltord
Contributor

Hey Everyone, the announcements have happened, and now we admins get to do it all again! Hooray!

I've modified my regex statement to take out the models that were lost to us this year to the latest macOS version. Thankfully the OS axe was kind to us this year and only cut off the MacBook Air 2018/19 models.

Also per a previous suggestion (thank you @grahamrpugh) I added in the VirtualMac line as we can see those pop up in our environments depending on current controls, and if anything it'd be good to get reports on them. Having tested this against a known list of current (6/13/24) Model Identifiers, I'm confident that this regex should be able to match everything that is supported by MacOS Sequoia:

(^Mac1[3-9],\b[0-9]{1,2}\b|MacBook\d{2}|MacBookAir(9|\d{2}),[1-9]|Macmini[8-9],\b[0-9]{1,2}\b|MacPro[7-9],\b[0-9]{1,2}\b|iMacPro[1-9],\b[0-9]{1,2}\b|iMac(19|2[0-9]),\d|MacBookPro(1[5-9]|2[0-9]),\b[0-9]{1,2}\b|VirtualMac)

You can create a smart group using this in order to find devices in your environments thata re not compatible to be upgraded to macOS Sequoia by using the criteria item Model Identifier and then selecting "does not match regex" operator. Copy/paste the regex into the value and save the Smart Group to view all mac's that ARE NOT compatible with Sequoia. You can also set the operator to "matches regex" to see devices that ARE compatible.

Screenshot of Hardware Compatibility Smart GroupScreenshot of Hardware Compatibility Smart Group

I will continue to update this regex in the post as new hardware comes out if I find any issues with consistency, and as always please let me know by replying here if you find any mistakes, I will try to quickly rectify as needed.

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1

miniberry
New Contributor II

You're the best! 👏 God bless you for this. Love the mac admin community and the support everyone shows.