macOS Sierra Available as an Automatic Download - how to see if it has downloaded?

jgwatson
Contributor

Would this tell me if Seirra has downloaded to one of our Mac's after the automatic downlaoded? For my environment, this is a good thing.

Cached Packages is Install OS X Seirra.InstallESD.dmg

Thanks so much

4 REPLIES 4

Bernard_Huang
Contributor III

You can usually find the downloaded package (push from Casper JSS to Macbook) at /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads

Please note the Downloads folder is set a read-only by default. You may go to Get Info > Sharing & Permissions > Set everyone = Read & Write. You do need to unlock the padlock with an adminstrator's password.

Hope that helps.

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

Apple downloads updates to /Library/Updates/

The Casper Suite caches packages to /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/

There is a discussion about the Apple automatic download of the Sierra installer here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=21511

jgwatson
Contributor

Sorry, looking for a smart group to do this.....if it's possible.

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

When I last posted, I haven't yet understood Apple's strategy.

The item being automatically downloaded is /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app

@mrice noted the package below delivered via softwareupdate
f14f118304cd4b8bbaa36a0dd7abfccf

If you want to identify those computers with the installer then you can base your smart group on the presence of that application. If you want to specifically know which ones automatically downloaded it you could look for the package.