Macs and CIFS/SMB shares

jonscott
New Contributor

Hi All, forgive me if this forum is not the right place to ask this question. This isn't specifically Casper related, but there's plenty of Macintosh wisdom and experience floating about, so maybe someone can help.

We are using ADmitMac on all of our 10.4 Macs (yep, still some of those) and some 10.5 - this came about when a decision was made to ditch all the OS X servers and xRAIDs in favor of NetApp filers for all filesharing. Back then we had only 10.4 clients, and fileshares are shared between Macs and WinPCs. Since the Macs split everything into numerous forks, there was a concern that WinPCs might delete the mysterious ._ files, or other problems and general mayhem might ensue, so the decision was made to purchase a bunch of ADmitMac licenses (also looked at were ExtremeZ-IP, and other SAN options...).

I remember coming across some info about 10.5 handling some NTFS style streams better than 10.4 (or "at all" I guess), but still not in all cases, or it was an optional setting. And 10.6 was supposed to handle much of this natively, depending on the backend. There are also (or were) issues with sharing files between Macs with and without ADmitMac installed.

Moving to today, apparently more NetApp filers are on the way here, replacing existing Windows fileshares across the company. I'm unsure whether ADmitMac is needed for 10.5 and 10.6 clients that do not currently have it, and whether problems will come up if/when files are shared between clients with and without ADmitMac - and with Windows PCs. I'm also unsure whether existing data can be effectively used should 10.6 Macs without ADmitMac share with 10.4 Macs that do connect with ADmitMac.

Does anyone here have much experience with ADmitMac in this kind of scenario? Or with 10.5 and 10.6 clients on NetApp or similar shares? Please feel free to reply offline. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

0 REPLIES 0