Managed application strange behaviour

JLTD
New Contributor II

Hi, hope all are well!

Reaching out as after some advice really.

I have recently implemented Chrome as a 'Mac App' Using Jamf Pro Catalogue.

For the most part this seems to work ok, however I am experiencing some strange behaviour.

On new Pre Stage enrollment builds, Chrome will install, however it with be contained within a JamfAppInstallers (Other) folder in launchpad.

I have also noticed (on random machines already in production) that when a chrome update is available, chrome will uninstall but does not automatically reinstall. This leaves users with the ? where the chrome icon would usually be (which is normal behaviour for an app which has been removed)

Configuration wise, I do have a configuration profile which configures chrome to automatically update. Could this be causing confusion?

I am a bit worried as the reason for adding Chrome as as managed app was so that it would push out and updates itself automatically, however I am now receiving calls having to 'clean up' machines which have had chrome removed but not reinstalled.

Looking through the install.log and on Jamf Pro logs I can see the old version being removed, then weridly the new version being removed , then it Adds a version with N/A version number (please see below)

Chrome.PNG

4 REPLIES 4

ZachB33
New Contributor

We are having the same issue. Haven't been able to pinpoint a root cause just yet.

JLTD
New Contributor II

I have found the issue and JamF have confirmed this.

What happens is a race condition is encountered when auto updates within chrome are enabled. This causes the chrome app itself to update along with the managed app pushing an update.

This results in chrome being removed, although still reporting as being installed but showing an N/A version.

The configuration policy to disable chrome updates also does not work (confirmed by JamF support) so I have been advised not to use AppInstaller for chrome for the time being:

jamf.PNG

JLTD
New Contributor II

Although not a fix I have put a work around in place.

I created a smart group with a criteria of App title Google Chrome and application version of N/A

I linked this to a policy to run on reoccurent chekin to install a manually downloaded chrome package and perform inventory (otherwise it would run again on next checkin)

Its a bit of a manual method but it means our service desk isnt plagued with calls of Chrome disappearing.

One chrome is installed and inventory has been performed, the machine is then removed from the smart computer group and so the policy does not run again.

Like i said, a bit of a manual process (as it means i manually need to download the latest package) but it only takes a few minutes.

lopezzi
New Contributor III

We are having the same issue as well.  Thank you for the explanation and the temp work around.  I'm hoping the update to Jamf where we can retry some of the app installs will help this issue as well, but for now, I've done the same smart group and policy you suggested.  Thanks!