Managed iPads with Wireless Profile won't connect. Connecting is restricted

sedwards
Contributor

I have pushed restrictions to some iPads restricting them from joining unmanaged wireless networks. These iPads have my organizations wireless profile on them but since pushing this restriction they will not connect to it. Furthermore, since I can't manually connect to any networks, I'm virtually locked out of these devices. So I have two questions:

1. Is it not advisable to restrict joining unmanaged wireless networks due to potential complications like this?

2. How can I reset the iPads or rejoin them to the network so I can push settings from Casper?

6 REPLIES 6

sedwards
Contributor

Can anyone at least comment if there is a way for me to reset the iPads so I can re-enroll them in DEP from scratch?

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@sedwards

Do you have the adapters to get the iPad on ethernet? That has saved me a few times. It would probably allow you to not have to reset them and just undo that restriction profile. If not, reset through iTunes?

sedwards
Contributor

I don't think I do but that's a good tip for the future. I'll have to grab a few of those. Does a reset through iTunes work if it's enrolled in DEP? I'm thinking maybe I'll have to uncheck these iPads in Apple School Manager so that they aren't configured for DEP in order to reset in iTunes.

acchsadmin
New Contributor

You can restore from iTunes then enroll in DEP again. No need to uncheck these ipads in DEP

Look
Valued Contributor III

Could you use tethered networking through a mac via USB? Or is that only 10.13 beta at the moment, can't quite remember.

sedwards
Contributor
Could you use tethered networking through a mac via USB? Or is that only 10.13 beta at the moment, can't quite remember.

We don't have any Macs in the district.

You can restore from iTunes then enroll in DEP again. No need to uncheck these ipads in DEP

When I attach them to a computer running iTunes, iTunes tells me "This iPad is supervised by another computer and cannot be used with this computer."