Managed Local Administrator Accounts

BookMac
Contributor

Hello jamf nation,

We have 2 managed local administrator accounts on our Macs. One is the PreStage admin, which is created during the macOS Setup Assistant. This is the PreStage admin "hu", which is LAPS enabled. And we have the jamf management account "ja", which is also LAPS enabled.

We have now removed the PreStage admin "hu" from all devices, as we only wanted to have one admin on the devices. Since LAPS, we can now also use the jadmin, if necessary, to enter passwords in exceptional cases.

Unfortunately, the PreStage admin remains in the jamf Pro database and is displayed in the computer object. There is also still the option to display the LAPS password. If you display the Laps password, it ends with the Failed mdm command:

"SetAutoAdminPassword" - "Unable to find user with GUID '851D63DB-068A-4FCD-B650-709144FE6E20'"

Has anyone else removed the PreStage Admin and had the same experience or do you just leave the Admin and have 2 Admins on the devices?

Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 08.10.09.pngScreenshot 2024-10-10 at 08.02.38.pngFailed MDM CmdFailed MDM Cmd

6 REPLIES 6

BookMac
Contributor

missedited

Gunny670
New Contributor

In our environment, we typically leave the PreStage Admin. Some of our programs seem to call to that profile to run. We haven't had an issue before with leaving both on there. I will say from personal experience, I've had a LAPS password expire and not issue another proper password for the primary admin and had to rely on the PreStage admin instead. Though, it really comes down to your security team if they only want one admin per machine.

Shyamsundar
New Contributor II

How did you delete the Prestage admin account? To verify if the account is still visible on the device, run the following command: dscl . list /Users | grep “hu”. 

BookMac
Contributor

I delete the admin account with a policy and the local accounts payload. the account does not exist on the machine anymore but jam pro thinks, that the managed local admin account is still there.

Shyamsundar
New Contributor II

Do you still have the Account settings in the Prestage enrollment enabled

Shyamsundar
New Contributor II

if yes, try disabling it and check the status.