Managing a lab full of iMacs with El Capitan or Yosemite

jgwatson
Contributor

I have 20 iMacs to manage in a lab, and I was wondering how other people are doing this? My Macs are used by over 250 student's, and I don't have OD set up. It was painful looking after username and passwords. Currently I have one account on each machine and everyone knows the password. How are other people doing this? I couldn't get the guest user account to work correctly, but I am looking for a way for the Mac to delete whatever junk has been downloaded between sessions.

Many Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Joseph_Morris
Contributor

You could use a script that removes all of the folders located within the User account or within specific folders

a simple:
rm -rf /Users/<username>/Desktop/
rm -rf /Users/<username>/Documents/

rm -rf /Users/<username>/Downloads/*

etc etc etc.

If all you're looking to do is remove content generated by users in the generic account that you have on the computer, that would be the easiest way. If you wanted to remove any settings, you would want to remove /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/* as well

I have three iMacs running Yosemite right now with a standard user, and there was a request to allow users to save their color profiles to the computer, and still delete the user account. I used a script that deleted any amount over 501 and copied the ColorSync profile to /Library/ before deleting the accounts in order to preserve the profiles. Users can still use their profiles without keeping the accounts on the local machine.