Managing Apple M1 Macbook Pros

dbrownlee
New Contributor

I have 4 Macbook Pros.  3 of them are Macbook Pro 2020 M1 and 1 2019 Macbook Pro Intel.  All have been enrolled Automatically however, i'm only able to communicate with the Intel mac.  When I say communicate, meaning inventory, pushing apps to device, etc.  I'm am however, able to only erase device, renew\remove MDM and lock device M1 computers.  The Intel is able to be fully controlled.  I've erase/enroll several times on the M1s, no issues.

What am I missing?  Jamf support stated Jamf platform was needing to be upgraded.  Well that was 2-3 platform versions back.

5 REPLIES 5

Naveen_R
New Contributor II

@dbrownlee , check the management state of the device, if it is in Unmanaged state then you will have to re-enrol the device either using a quickadd package or using the url https://{instancename}.jamfcloud.com/enroll.

or the other option that you can try is renewing enrolment profile by running the command 

sudo profiles renew -type enrollment

I am not sure about the root cause behind this, because i am still figuring it out. I suspect JAMF MDM binaries are not downloaded properly during enrolment or might be binaries dont have proper permissions set to perform MDM related activities.

I’ve check management and all devices are managed and not unmanaged.

Also as far as binary MDM, it’s the same that enrolls all previous mobile devices and computers.

Thanks,

DaMarcus

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the material from all computers.

Hi DaMarcus,

you have to check if the devices are "Supervised". They are all managed because the Jamf Framework is installed but to access the additional MDM capabilities (lock, erase device etc.) offered by Apple's MDM API they need to be supvervised as well. I bet only the Intel machine is supervised.

To get the M1 Macs into supervision you either can run a sudo profiles renew -type enrollment or enroll them manually via https://{instancename}.jamfcloud.com/enroll . The QuickAdd Package variant is deprecated and not working anymore regarding supervision.

ATTENTION: You should uninstall the Jamf framework via sudo jamf removeFramework before you re-enroll the M1-Macs.

You can find additional information in the documentation: https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-now/documentation/Re-enrolling_a_Computer_Using_Automated_Device_Enrollme...

All are auto enrolled, managed and supervised. But only 3/4 are M1 processor and 1 Intel. Again, no issues with Intel.

[cid:image001.png@01D7BA90.5B5CBBE0]Damarcus D BrownleeInformation Technology Center | Help Desk Administrator
100 South Hill St.
Griffin, Ga 30224

P: (770) 229-6614
F: (770) 233-2921
C:
E: dbrownlee@cityofgriffin.com
W: cityofgriffin.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete the material from all computers.

Okay, that's strange. In that case you might open a support case?