Manually enroll an iPad with serial number?

sudoBrandon
New Contributor II

I have a couple of ipads that we inherited through a business we acquired.  I have their IMEI number and Serial but not the physical devices (in hand).  Is there a way to enroll the devices without having the devices?  I looked on Business Manager but didn't see an option.  Looks like Apple Configurator 2 requires the physical connection.  I guess I could add the user as an enrollment admin temporarily but I feel like I'm missing a method.   I could ask for the devices to be shipped to me as well.

TIA

Brandon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sonia1003
New Contributor
New Contributor

For iPads if not registered in your org's ABM, the best shot is to have the devices shipped to you, that way you can enroll them manually to apple business manager and subsequently to Jamf Pro, this method would provide you will full control over the device. The other method would be just prepare/supervised the devices Via Apple Configurator 2 and enroll via url. -User-Initiated enrollment via url without making the device supervised does not requires to have physical contact with the device, allows for applications deployments, but all configuration profiles/restrictions that requires the device to be supervised would't be applicable to this devices. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sonia1003
New Contributor
New Contributor

For iPads if not registered in your org's ABM, the best shot is to have the devices shipped to you, that way you can enroll them manually to apple business manager and subsequently to Jamf Pro, this method would provide you will full control over the device. The other method would be just prepare/supervised the devices Via Apple Configurator 2 and enroll via url. -User-Initiated enrollment via url without making the device supervised does not requires to have physical contact with the device, allows for applications deployments, but all configuration profiles/restrictions that requires the device to be supervised would't be applicable to this devices. 

sudoBrandon
New Contributor II

Thank you @Sonia1003