Mapping a blind share in Casper

KingEdwardVI
New Contributor

Hi,

We are running a number of desktop macs (iMACS and Mac Mini's) which are mapping network drives happily, both in terms of regular network shares (e.g. SMB://servername/sharename), and also a blind share to the users home folder. By blind share i mean the equivalent of servernameusername$ in Windows.

This seems to work nicely for desktop users.

I have just started trying to setup a Mobile Account to allow our single macbook user to run through Casper as well and allow her to login offsite (without creating a separate local user account).

This is mostly working using the mobility settings within Casper's web front end, and the regular network shares seem to map happily when its connected to the network.

However, the bit i am struggling with is the blind network share, as these have the '$' symbol at the end. This is fine for manually hardcoded Login Items to map the users share (e.g. SMB://servername/testteacher$) and seems to map ok when that user (in this instance 'testteacher' - and in the real world the servername is filled in) logs in, but if i want use a variable to take the current users credentials, it seems to need '$USERNAME', but I think this is conflicting with the '$' at the end of the blind share name.

i have tried a host of combinations without success.

Has anyone else tried similar and managed to get it running?

Simon

3 REPLIES 3

KingEdwardVI
New Contributor

opps current user should be $USER rather than $USERNAME - a typo on my behalf.

if i open terminal as a user and type 'echo $USER' it returns the currently logged on user.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Escape the $ by wrapping the $ in single quotes like so '$' or alternative try backslash like so $

KingEdwardVI
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have given it a quick try to see if it picks up, but no joy with either approach