Marking adobe packages as adobe packages in Casper Admin

jcrowe
New Contributor

Does anyone know if this is working correctly and I am not doing it right? When I download a patch from Adobe's website and try to mark it as an Adobe Patch package in the Info tab in Casper Admin, it always tells me that the package is not an Adobe Patch package. I have tried it with multiple different packages from their site but they all didn't seem to work. I tried indexing them first and that didn't seem to do anything either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Justin

6 REPLIES 6

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

If this is either a) a CS4 update or b) an Acrobat update it will fail. Casper 7 will support CS4 installers/updates. Acrobat, I tend to roll out as a regular update. You likely need to treat them in this manner.

j

ernstcs
Contributor III

CS4 or CS3? And which software updat?

jcrowe
New Contributor

Mainly Acrobat and Reader for now. We have copies of Acrobat 7, 8, and 9 and managing them all is hard since there are different versions of Pro and Standard. I am trying to patch Reader to 9.1.1 and Acrobat to all the latest versions.

Just as I am typing this I see the other response to roll them out as a regular update and not using this option. It would be nice if this could work on all Adobe products.

Thank you,

Justin

ernstcs
Contributor III

Agreed.

Would also be nice to have a command line updater so you wouldn't need to put the updates in the system at all...just run a command! Am I missing something there?

talkingmoose

Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 12:43:55 -0500

This is all Adobe. The JAMF folks simply use the scripting APIs provided by
Adobe for their installers. The Acrobat team at Adobe does its own thing
compared to the rest of the suite and one of those things it doesn't do is
provide scripting support in its Acrobat updaters for Mac.

Adobe has said that the next version of Acrobat installer for Mac will come
as a .pkg format, which gives me a modicum of hope for the future.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Technical Analyst
MCS IT
Merrill Communications, LLC
(651) 632-1492

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

About the only thing that works reliably is to use the Casper tools, especially smart groups and making sure you recon after each patch. I really wish Adobe would at least stop with delta-only updates. Microsoft has finally (I think ) caught on with Office 2008, now we just need Adobe to follow suit.

j