MAS Apps Not Auto-Updating

nvandam
Contributor II

I've noticed that Apps installed through VPP, Xcode in this case, are not automatically updating. The checkbox to Automatically update app is checked for Xcode. The computers meet the requirements for the newest version. I've even clicked the "Force Update" button on the app configuration page. Am I missing something else?

5 REPLIES 5

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

What version of Jamf are you running? What OS are the target devices running?

nvandam
Contributor II

scottlep
Contributor II

We are seeing this too across many of the JSSes we manage. JSSes are 9.101, clients are 10.11 and 10.12. Many of the clients just sit forever with the Status:Installing in the Mac Apps Store Apps History. Some eventually update but there is no rhyme nor reason as to why they don't do it immediately or why they decide to go ahead and update days/weeks later.

jriv
New Contributor III

I wonder if this is this the same issue where a VPP app fails to auto-install? I was under the impression that it was resolved with the 9.98 update.

anverhousseini
Contributor II

Probably this issue: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/articles/372/enabling-mdm-for-local-user-accounts

Note: The sudo jamf mdm -userLevelMdm command force enables MDM for the currently logged-in user only. If you uncheck the box in PreStage Enrollments for ‘Allow MDM Profile Removal’, this will not work for any additional local users. MacOS Sierra is not supported for multiple local MDM capable users (LDAP directory accounts will work fine).

VPP Mac App Store apps are useless since macOS Sierra (if you have local user accounts).