MDM app configuration - is anyone using 'App Configuration' tab?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to preconfigure settings for a third-party, non-Enterprise app?

I have a couple of assessment apps I'd like to preset the URL for (STAR) or state (SBAC).

thanks,

chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hey Chris,

The only app I've used App Configuration for is Casper Focus where I was able to enter the URL as follows (casperurl = your casper server):

<dict> <key>JSS_URL</key> <string>https://casperurl:8443/</string> </dict>

Back in November, I asked our Apple SE about the App Configuration feature. He said that "…the app developer would need to program in the ability to set managed configuration options, which would mean that each app developer would need to provide a dictionary reference for settings that can be defined via MDM." So it sounds like you may need to contact the developer of the assessment app and see if they can add that ability.

I hope more developers implement this. It would be a huge time saver for end users and iOS admins like us!
~Joe

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hey Chris,

The only app I've used App Configuration for is Casper Focus where I was able to enter the URL as follows (casperurl = your casper server):

<dict> <key>JSS_URL</key> <string>https://casperurl:8443/</string> </dict>

Back in November, I asked our Apple SE about the App Configuration feature. He said that "…the app developer would need to program in the ability to set managed configuration options, which would mean that each app developer would need to provide a dictionary reference for settings that can be defined via MDM." So it sounds like you may need to contact the developer of the assessment app and see if they can add that ability.

I hope more developers implement this. It would be a huge time saver for end users and iOS admins like us!
~Joe

tron_jones
Release Candidate Programs Tester

A second thing to note for the Casper ID configuration is the second key and string to prevent the instructor from focusing there own iPad.

<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>

sadamson
New Contributor

I'm looking at setting up VMware Horizon Client and would like to include the URL in the settings.
Anyone know how this could be done (or other functions could be pushed to the app during the install or update)? Thank all
Scott

brandonusher
Contributor II

I just wish the state testing app AirSecure Test would provide App Configuration so we could set the state and test for the students.

Another app other than Casper Focus I use this for is manually distributing Self Service to our devices (outlined here)