microsoft autoupdater valid for both office 2016 and 2019??

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

Hi there, is the MAU microsoft autoupdate 4.31 that was released 1/13/2021 good for both Office for Mac 2016 and Office for Mac 2019?

I downloaded it from here: https://macadmins.software/

I know office 2016 is 'end of life/support'

18 REPLIES 18

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela yup, it certainly is. All MAU updates are backward compartible. You can even use 4.31 to update 2011 if it still exists out there.

aharsdor
New Contributor II

You can initiate an update from Office 2016 to Office 2019 via Autoupdate binary also. Only a matching autoupdate-config deployed via mobileconfig-profile is nessesary.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

when I have the MAU2.0 installed on the computers there is a 'Required Data Notice' popup that appears until the user clicks OK. How do I get rid of this popup so users don't see it.

I just want MAU2.0 to install silently in the background, but this "Required Data Notice' pops up in the DOCK

I want users to be able to check for Microsoft Office updates on their own, and/or be prompted that there are available updates.

Currently I have a policy that checks for office that is not running the current version and will install the updates on logout. Kind of a hassle each time to download them and setup the policy and smart groups to check, so I decided to install MAU2.0 on the computers that don't have it installed.
22c5d30c17e6463d8a0b461c864e276a

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela To suppress the Required Data Notice pop-up, set the AcknowledgedDataCollectionPolicy preference to the string value of RequiredDataOnly in the com.microsoft.autoupdate2 domain.

The easiest way to set this is through Configuration Policies -> Application and Custom Settings as in the attached screenshot
4b28ccee84974b509cb9a377696753cc

Alternatively, from Terminal use defaults write com.microsoft.autoupdate2 AcknowledgedDataCollectionPolicy -string 'RequiredDataOnly

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

a1d1bb68dfef4c7aa4d3eb77a37c80eb

67e248c791e74af48f4885b009248014

373502dce3a94d3aac62fa40675a06af
@pbowden Hi, I just configured the configuration profile. Check it out, let me know if you see anything out of place. I only have Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MAU installed so those should be the only things to check for updating. Computers without MAU2.0 i have a policy that will install it during 'check-in' (that's why the pop-up with required data notice was appearing).

I will apply this configuration profile to all computers with MAU installed.
0f90935171534ca4802cf26a6d66e6e3

I increased the check for updates to 24 hours instead of the default of 12.

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela The profile looks good. Any particular reason why you're using the "Automatically check, but notify users if updates are available" instead of the "automatically download and install updates" option? The latter gives a much more seamless experience. I can elaborate if you need me to.

Thanks, Paul.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden no reason. You think the "automatically download and install updates" is the better option?

for macs with MAU currently installed the config profile will still apply?
for macs with MAU currently NOT installed, I'll have to have the config profile install before MAU gets installed? or else they'll get the require data notice popup?

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela yes, definitely. Users will be notified either way, but with the second option, the updates will happen in the background rather than users needing to quit apps and watch a progress bar.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden can i apply the config profile to computers even if the MAU2.0 is not installed yet? through the config profile, Without MAU it won't be able to install updates anyways, correct?

I need the config profile installed before MAU2.0 so when MAU2.0 gets installed the user will not see the 'Required Data Notice'?

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela yup, you should push the Config Profile before MAU is installed.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden - this is on a freshly enrolled Big Sur 2015 MacBook Pro, I installed the MAU config profile and then had the Office 2019 pkg install and after installation I was still prompted to OK the 'Required data notice'.

on a 10.15/10.14 laptop I was not prompted to OK the 'Required data notice'. So there is a possibility this config profile might not work with Big Sur? I wonder if the Office updating portion of the config profile will work with Big Sur ?????

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela Big Sur doesn’t make any difference from the perspective of Office and MAU. Can you repeat the test with Big Sur and ensure that the Config Profile has made it to the device (via System Prefs > Profiles) before you deploy the Office PKG?

If it does repro with the same problem, please send me screenshots of both the privacy dialog and Config profile.

Thanks!

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden yes the configuration profile was in place before i had the office 2019 pkg install. I made sure i checked prior to installing the pkg.

Ill try again from another big Sur

The required data notice and my configuration profile settings are displayed in my previous comments

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela thanks! If it repro’s again on a second Big Sur machine, we should jumó on a screen share later on today and debug.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden does a person need to be logged in, in order for the MAU to install any updates?

pbowden
Contributor III

@tcandela No. If MAU is set to Automatically Download and Install, then updates will be detected, downloaded and applied even if no user is logged-in. There are a couple of nuances to watch out for though:
1. You'll need to set the Config Profile appropriately to suppress the Required Data Notice/Privacy dialog
2. The msupdate CLI does require the user to be logged-in

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

@pbowden hey, Office 2019 has release update 16.46 so lets see if this MAU2 config profile does its job.

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

your really don't need a config profile as long as you have MAU2.0 installed. It'll popup when there are updates available to install. The user can update it once they see the popup. Why force it for the user is my opinion.