Migrating from another MDM. VPP question.

richeames
New Contributor III

We have made the decision to move from AirWatch to the Capser Suite. My biggest concern is with the apps that we had pushed out from our former MDM using managed distribution. Has anyone moved from one MDM to Casper and what was your process to get back all paid apps so Casper has the correct allocation of licenses. Our iPad carts are shared so we spent most of the time initially creating 1 off Apple IDs so we could push an app to a device. We are hoping to use device based assignment but need to retrieve all those apps so we can re-assign them.

Thanks
Rich

5 REPLIES 5

Gern
New Contributor III

Hey Rich did you ever figure this out? We are in the same boat and it is crunchtime yikes! Can't quite find the answer online and I've been searching forever!

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

In short, you just need to unscope users/devices from their assignment in order for the license to be freed up.

If someone has an app assigned to their Apple ID, it will be removed from their device in 30 days after being unscoped.

richeames
New Contributor III

I started by revoking apps from my prior MDM, AirWatch. Friday I added the VPP tokens to Casper, there was a revoke all apps, once I clicked the button it appears to have pulled all available apps, free and paid into Casper. We have our JumpStart on the 26th, we should know if this was the right way. All apps have been removed from our shared carts and we are ready to re-enroll into Casper.

CRInfoTech
New Contributor

Rich,

Came across your post as we are doing research on migrating from AirWatch, but to Meraki. Did your process end up working out ok? I am kind of doing some preliminary research on taking our VPP tokens/credits from AirWatch to Meraki and trying to figure out the best course of action.

richeames
New Contributor III

I'm assuming nothing has changed in token revocation. Yes, I removed all apps from all devices, downloaded a new VPP token from each VPP account and uploaded the new token to our JSS. I was able to push out all Managed Distributed apps without an issue, As expected I did loose the apps that were done by redeemable codes. Other than a delay on Apple's side due to the amount of app traffic everything came over and synced properly.

Rich