Migration Assistant - Pre Mojave AD Bound Macs to Macs w/ Nomad Login

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Hello JN,

Starting with Mojave I am utilizing NoMAD & NoMAD Login on the End Users machines to convert AD Accounts to Local User Accounts.

Currently, all macs 10.13 & Before are AD Bound Mobile Accounts.

The Deployment team has had issues when using Migration Assistant to bring everything over 100%.

Has anyone else done this, if so, how did it work for you & what was your workflow?

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month
4 REPLIES 4

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Hugonaut this doesn't answer your question, but I would be very careful using Migration Assistant to move users. If a tech selects to migrate everything, in other words everything besides the user's folder, you run a high risk of breaking the jamf binary with a Device Signature Error. Migration Assistant will copy the device certificate from the old machine over to the new machine and that will break Jamf.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Thanks @stevewood very much aware haha (trial by fire some say?)

this is only for specific use cases - in general the deployment team is saving a backup of end users data, wiping the machine & then re-provisioning it.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

swapple
Contributor III

This might shed some light on it: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2016/12/21/migrating-ad-mobile-accounts-to-local-user-accounts/

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Hugonaut definitely trial by "shooting yourself in the foot".... ;-) Although I wasn't the one pulling the trigger, I am just the one cleaning up the mess to the tune of a few thousand machines. I would have been remiss if I hadn't mentioned it.