Migration of iPad apps and Settings

rcol13
New Contributor III

Hello fellow Jamfs,

Looking for some guidance. We are going from unmanaged iPads to managed iPads. I want to be able to use the built in functionality of the iPad to transfer apps and setting of the iPad. I get to the point where it asks me to scan the image with the iPad but the apps and settings don't come over. I'm wondering if this might be because I'm going from unmanaged to managed devices.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'll assume that by 'unmanaged' you mean you were not using an MDM prior.  If that's the case, you likely need to "unlearn what you have learned" (if you will excuse the Yoda quote).  If you had been using one single personal Apple ID to install apps on iPad devices, you'll need to now use 'Apps & Books' (Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager) to assign apps to those devices.  Free apps are easy (just "purchase" enough licenses for your devices), paid apps may be more painful because you will need to purchase a license for each device.  Technically you should have been doing this all along to comply with the licnesing, but the single Apple ID mechanism didn't require it.

Once you have your devices assigned and set up to enroll automatically, and have apps properly licensed and scoped, everything will be much easier and more scalable.  Getting over that initial hump may seem daunting at first however.  It's worth it.  Trust me.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Your workflow may be the reason I suspect. Restoring(whether it's device to device or account based) from an unmanaged device to a managed one will most likely fail as you've seen or result in the new device being in an unmanaged state. 

Use an iCloud account to gather what data you can from the unmanaged device and then once the managed device is setup you'll then log into that account. App data won't return so if the third party app has a cloud backup feature within it I'd use that. 

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think I misunderstood the question. Reading Steve’s response, it seems you are trying to use proximity setup which may be skipping the remote management pane in setup assistant. You can suppress proximity setup, but that requires you to setup the device and then send the remote wipe and set the option to suppress it.  If you don’t suppress it, you just have to be sure to select “set up manually.”  You can also enforce this by preparing the device with Configurator first and then hand them to the end user at the Hello screen. 

You will want to test, but you should be able to back up the old iPad to iCloud and then set up the new one restoring from backup during setup. As long as the backup is restored to a different iPad, it should respect the Automated Device Enrollment settings. 

rcol13
New Contributor III

Thanks everyone for the info, I ended up finding the issue. I had Apps & Data disabled in my Pre-Stage Enrollment. I thought by having Transfer Data enabled would have let me do this.