Migration to Apps and Books question

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Apple's docs say you should migrate all your VPP accounts to Apps and Books at the same time. I really would like to pick 1 VPP account to test with 1st. Has anyone else done this? Any issues?

FYI on this same topic:
We had 2 VPP accounts that suddenly had their VPP tokens revoked. Ended up calling Apple and they said they started migrating the accounts to Apps and Books. The Apple support person said "we are going to start migrating accounts that have not yet done it." Both accounts are in some kind of in-between state where I have to login to Apple School Manager as that user and then go to the legacy VPP portal to buy apps.

JAMF was not surprised at all. JAMF support said they were wondering when Apple would start forcing things.

4 REPLIES 4

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

I would advise your Apple SE about this; we were told it would not be forced. Also it should NOT be forced since it is a one time process.

You should be able to do just one VPP account. Just make sure NONE of the 4 items in section "If assigned licenses don't transfer" of this article are done, as you want assigned licenses to transfer when the time comes.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

The way I read that is you want 1 or more of those conditions to be met in order for assigned licenses to NOT be moved.

If assigned licenses don't transfer Only unassigned licenses will move to a location if any of the following scenarios occur: Licenses are purchased or transferred to a location before a purchaser migrates to the new location. Someone downloads the location's token before the first user migrates to it. A new Content Manager is created in a location after another user opts into Apps and Books. Multiple purchasers migrate to the same location. If assigned licenses don't transfer, they remain associated with the purchaser's legacy tokens which should remain uploaded to MDM with the location token. After you unassign an app from the legacy token, you can transfer the licenses to a location in Settings > Apps and Books in Apple School Manager or in Apple Business Manager.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

Too many double negatives!

I was referring to the other Locations. You will want those to be untouched, ready for the first conversion. So don't download a token from those other locations, or transfer licenses from location to location, etc.

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Got it. The 2 VPP accounts that Apple "messed with" I will just leave be for now.

I can get another account and play with it. None of those bullet points should be done on the other accounts or locations.